REC TriMix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom,

I wish they still did it your way. :D

I agree with you. I spent $800 per course, and 80% of the lectures/materials were the same. For that kind of overlap in knowledge, I think we could get away with a single longer course.

I don't mind logging the practical time for each cert, because it's diving! :D I just can't stand the boredom of taking the same test questions over and over again.

I learned how to fly a $30 million dollar jet in snowstorms and thunderstorms quicker and relatively inexpesively compared to Full Trimix! :D

I think I could probably have handled an all-inclusive trimix course.

tom yerian:
I guess I am an old timer, when trimix was first offered, it was full gas, using Hypoxic mixes for deep diving. And I guess as usual someone figured,to make more money lets split up and create all kinds of new name certifications for an increased profit margin!When I was with Billy Deans in key west he taught full gas trimix in the beginning. The certs, normoxic trmx.,or intermediate trmx wasn't around, it was a later development. There basically the same! So rather than get the interested explorer at that time paying for one cert that covered everything anyway, powers that be said ,''split the course into two separate courses,and we can get twice as much money!'' The same as all the courses that have been developed over time. They are there to make more money and have a whole bunch of fancy c-cards to offer. Well, I guess I reveal my age somewhat! Remember, Billy instituted the first tmix course in the country as an accepted tech. course. His Idea of a tech course was ''oxygen management'' as a definition tech. dive ops.....Ok?

yid: Capt. Tom

Thats one reason why they have normoxic, you don't need a travel mix.Air, at 200 fsw has a po2 of 1.47, a decent po2 Even if you went to 218ft, your po2 would be 1.59, still within the 1.6a Recommended by noaa as max po2.This is an extended range mix for the majority of deeper divers. This is already known in full gas! This is the break point for a new and expensive class.! You still have to have your deco gas, in my case,50% @70or 100% @ 20', depending on time at depth or missed stops. I carry both gases as an emerg. if needed.You sling a travel gas if you are running a hypoxic mix to cover the low o2 from surface to your switch.In most cases you can take a deep breath and exhale to switch and on the way up you are on deco gas, and dont need to go to TG.I would find an old timer mix instr. and ask him to take through. Remember its a matter of money on both ends; The cert organization who sells two certs and the Instr.who also sells the certs. Do an extended course, combine both as one, if they will let you ;pay a little more!...yid:

capt. Tom Yerian

tom yerian:
Thats one reason why they have normoxic, you don't need a travel mix.Air, at 200 fsw has a po2 of 1.47, a decent po2 Even if you went to 218ft, your po2 would be 1.59, still within the 1.6a Recommended by noaa as max po2.This is an extended range mix for the majority of deeper divers. This is already known in full gas! This is the break point for a new and expensive class.! You still have to have your deco gas, in my case,50% @70or 100% @ 20', depending on time at depth or missed stops. I carry both gases as an emerg. if needed.You sling a travel gas if you are running a hypoxic mix to cover the low o2 from surface to your switch.In most cases you can take a deep breath and exhale to switch and on the way up you are on deco gas, and dont need to go to TG.I would find an old timer mix instr. and ask him to take through. Remember its a matter of money on both ends; The cert organization who sells two certs and the Instr.who also sells the certs. Do an extended course, combine both as one, if they will let you ;pay a little more!...yid:

capt. Tom Yerian

I am running a travel gas as well. I made those arrangements with the instructor when I started the course back in February and am happy that I am doing that.

Safety reasons are predominant for me. The sooner that I get off of that helium on the way up, the happier that I am. Accelerated deco on my deep stops is nice as well. Deco in 40 degree water gets cold, even in a drysuit.

I could more easily use my reg from one bottle to another if I needed to in the event of a reg. failure and still have all of my deco gas available to me.

Yes, handling that extra bottle is a bit of a PITA, but it is one that I will have to learn anyway when I get the opportunity to do a full trimix course. Why not start now and make that course easier?

PS I am running a travel mix of EAN36 and doing deco on Oxygen.

Charlie99:
Why?

Some divers prefer having helium in their deco gases, including Bruce Wienke, and various WKPP people.

Personally, the mix has it's uses. But, deco is not necessarily one of them in my mind.

My tables are set up for nitrox mixes on deco. If other people are diving different tables that is fine by me, but it still is not standard practice to my knowledge.

diverbrian:
Personally, the mix has it's uses. But, deco is not necessarily one of them in my mind.

My tables are set up for nitrox mixes on deco. If other people are diving different tables that is fine by me, but it still is not standard practice to my knowledge.
OK. We're back in sync. I was just responding to the implication in "Safety reasons are predominant for me. The sooner that I get off of that helium on the way up, the happier that I am. " that there is some safety risk in using helium mixes all the way up.

Charlie99:
OK. We're back in sync. I was just responding to the implication in "Safety reasons are predominant for me. The sooner that I get off of that helium on the way up, the happier that I am. " that there is some safety risk in using helium mixes all the way up.

My mistake. The safety that I was referring to was the ability to have some redundancy in my deco gas so that I am not quite so screwed if I lose the ability to breathe one or the other deco gas for whatever reason.

I can see where you made this intepretation, though.

Thank you sir! By the way, where are you in this world? I would like to run some series on the environment you are diving in. You have a good day now. YID:...Capt. Tom

tom yerian:
Thank you sir! By the way, where are you in this world? I would like to run some series on the environment you are diving in. You have a good day now. YID:...Capt. Tom

If that is addressed to me, I do most of my Tech stuff in Lake Huron or Lake Superior. Water temps are typically in the neighborhood of 40 degrees and the freshwater wrecks (especially at 180 ft. or so) look like the day that they went down over 100 yrs. ago.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to look into diving up here. I am sure that I could learn alot from you. (Of course, every diver knows that the day they quit learning is the day that they should take measurements for a casket!)

mempilot:
Tom,

What agency lets you skip normoxic for full trimix? The curriculems I'm aware of either require it as a prereq or combine the two.

ANDI does not have a normoxic trimix in its normal training progression..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom