Recent experience with Delta Customer Service...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a recent trip

The smiling lady at the Delta ticket counter pleasantly requested an additional $90 because one of the bags was about 10lbs heavy. She didn't even offer the option of doing the "airport luggage shuffle" which got us under the limit.

I had purchased 3 tickets, one for myself, my girlfriend and one of my daughters who opted out of the vacation last minute. Delta refused to refund or even give me use of the ticket at a later date, although for $100 (on a $250 ticket), my daughter (and no one else) could use it on a Delta flight within the year. Since I knew she probably wouldnt be taking a trip within a year I opted to keep the third ticket so we'd have a bit more room to stretch out. Nope, Delta said the ticket, since it was "unused" goes back in the "pot". I argued with the gate attendant who threatened to knock me off the flight...and after we sat down in the plane another passenger who was given our seat sat down next to us. Even though the flight was only about 2/3 full. I just know the gate attendant intentionally placed her next to us. My girlfriend and I were bitching about it to the point that the passenger moved to another seat but that's not the point.

While in Florida, I purchased a small portable "digital luggage scale" at Divers Direct, and got all the bags close to but below 50 lbs. Wouldn't you know that one of them weighed 52 lbs at the curbside check in, on Delta's scale. After I produced and calibrated my scale, they "let it slide".

Delta blows, I'll never use that airline again unless I have no other choice.

There is no thing such as customer service, that is long dead.

Once again it clearly points to a major shift in Corporate policies, and the belief that something for nothing is what we deserve.

All CEO's are paid to produce profits for stockholders, trimming the fat is how they have learned to do it. They are not smart enough nor strong enough to build healthy long term companies. Get it fast, and get out of the way of the fall out.

As much as it pains me to say it, catering to the stockholders is the biggest mistake a CEO can do. They add nothing to the company and given a chance we would all take every dime we can get. Heck, getting paid for doing nothing is the Dream right?

The True health of a company can be found by looking at the health (financial, physical and love of the job) of the lowest paid employee. Find a company where everybody loves their job and you will find a company that makes money for a very long time.

ha ha even the pilot's 12 year old sons are allowed not only into the cockpit, but also fly the plane! And ended up as scrap metal in the middle of Siberia.....

That was the "old" Aeroflop. The new Aeroflot is MUCH better! :wink:
besides that was an urban legend!

doesn't look like "urban legend" to me.

see Aeroflot Flight 593 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

references at the bottom of the article.

Several years ago, there was a movement for an airline passengers bill of rights to correct some of the customer abuses of the airlines. Some thought it was an over regulation of business by the federal govt.

I hope those folks enjoy all the airlines have to offer as often as possible.

I for one do not see a difference in the future after that Billion is invested. Sure the planes may have seat-back entertainment like many newer planes. Maybe they hire 100 more people at the call center in India. Sure there MAY be 2" exta leg room. But in the end, the corporate philosophy is to do as little as humanly possible and I do not see that changing. In fact, I think you will see additional hidden costs from Delta to offset some of this Billion.

I gave up on Delta after they stranded me for weeks after Hurricane Ivan in 2004.

After the storm they sold me a ticket back home to Cayman. It was a Miami to Cayman via Atlanta routing - not a preferred route but they claimed they were flying. They flew me Miami to Atlanta, no problem.

They delayed the flight to Cayman, at first a day or two. Understandable. Not such a big deal.

Then the excuses. Cayman's Civil Aviation Authority allegedly wouldn't permit them to fly. I contacted the head of Cayman CAA who said they were welcome to fly. Other airlines were flying.

Cayman Immigration allegedly wouldn't let me in. I got it in writing via fax from the head of the Cayman Dept of Immigration that I was welcome to return.

Eventually they re-booked me on Continental. I was scheduled on the same flight as fellow board members (from that other board) who were using frequent flyer miles. Continental told them the truth, "We're not going to fly a plane down there half full with the price of fuel these days." Continental rebooked them onto American even though they were on frequent flyer tickets. Props to Continental for the truth and props for treating their valuable customers right. Delta shafted me.

Delta came up with an option. I could take a partial refund (they had flown me from Miami to Atlanta after all) and then buy an inter-line ticket to fly Delta back to Miami and connect to Cayman Airways. All for a much higher fare.

When a travel journalist from USA Today called to ask what the problem was I was reaccomodated on Air Jamaica the next day.

Being broke and stuck sucks. Being dependent on Delta sucks more.

Delta does not care about its customers.

Just on the news, a Delta flight needed to divert to Buffalo airport on its way to Rochester. They said it had issues with the flaps. The reason they came to Buffalo is because the runway is longer then in Rochester. Less flaps means higher landing speed is required and more room to stop. Now what I don't get, why they did not go to Niagara Falls because they have the longest runway in the general area because of the airbase. They can land 747 there easy.

But anyway.

Buffalo's runway was plenty long and the airline has scheduled flights and contract maintenace in Buffalo. No maintenance in Niagara, plus no charts for the pilots for Niagara.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom