Recomendations for Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongoose:
I have a an Aeris Atmos AI and am very happy with it. It does nitrox, dive planning, dive simulation, is air-integrated, with a top-mounted compass. Think I paid about $639 for it.

I'll echo a previous poster and tell you to call Larry at scubatoys. They'll hook you up.

--'Goose

I'll second that but the download software is horrendous. If this is very important to you I suggest you pick another computer. The computer itself is great... albeit very liberal.

dyarab:
I'll second that but the download software is horrendous. If this is very important to you I suggest you pick another computer. The computer itself is great... albeit very liberal.

i'm not sure there is a computer out there that comes with decent software

kjgoh:
Using Suunto Vyper now. Love the user interface. easy to navigate thru the menus. easy to read underwater. Highly recommended.

If down load capabiliy (lack of), back light, simulator , and gage mode are not important to you. (and for most part you will not miss them), then you might want to look at the Suunto Gekko.

Navigates like Vyper and has same easy to read display.

Drawback of all Suunto's very conservative.

mossym:
i'm not sure there is a computer out there that comes with decent software

IMO - The Smart Trak Software from UWATEC is great...

I had an aeris atmos ai. I just loved it. But it died after 1 1/2 years. It does have a 2 year warrantee. I did have alot of dives on it. I should be getting my replacement next week.

The suunto cobra looks like it would be a great computer also. Many of my friends have it and love it.

I prefer the air integrated computers.

currently use oceanic veo 200/250. After 60 some dives in all kinds of conditions I would not hesitate to get another one. Downloads are easy. would like to see a few more features in the soft ware but for 250 bucks with digital bottom timer trade in, I can't and won't complain.

I really love my Suunto Cobra. It was my first and only love! LOL!

Easy to read, easy to operate, air integrated console model with SK7 compass. I like the whole setup. I keep it clipped across by chest with a retractor which works great.

I use a NiTek3 that I picked up on *bay for $200.00. My wife uses a NiTek that we got also for $100.00 and we picked up the interface from DiveRiteExpress when they had them on sale last spring. Software is OK, just OK.

I did a lot of checking around before I got my DC. Finnally settled for Suunto Stinger.

Pros:
1. its a beauty that can easily be used as a watch as well (ideal for me that travel a lot - I don't need to pack another item)
2. its quite conservative - which makes me feel extra comfortable with it as a fairly recent diver
3. Computer interface is nice little gadget - although there are some annoying flaws with it.
4. Yes, does Air / Nitrox but also has dedicated Freediving mode

Cons:
1. Can be a little hard to see the fairly small display if you're diving in very low-visibility conditions (I have never had any problem though, and has been down in 3-4m viz)
2. Price... starts off quite expensive (£460 approx...) - but there are plenty of places to get it at better price on the internet. [recommend https://vault2.secured-url.com/mtcsl/dw/indexb.asp]

Cheers,
R

Back
Top Bottom