Recomendations, Grand Cayman, Turks, or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have some free time in early June and can't decide where to go. We want awesome diving and a cool place to stay. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just clean and on a beach, and not to buggy. Bonaire is next year, and we do Cozumel every year as well. Any great suggestions?

out of Turks and grand Caymans I liked the diving in grand Caymans better .more marine life and nicer reefs in my opinion .oasis were great operators in Turks and used don fosters in grand Cayman

If you want to do land-based diving then I agree that the Caymans are a good choice.

There is awesome diving in the Turks and Caicos but I think the best options are reached via a liveaboard dive boat out of Provo; although Grace Bay Beach is outstanding and the water is beautiful.

If you want topside attractions (restaurants, shopping, entertainments), very good diving, and a fabulous beach; then Grand Cayman is your best option.

If you are more interested in a small, quiet island, and a diver-dedicated resort, then I suggest the sister islands of Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. They both have excellent diving and Little Cayman has some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO.

Last edited:
Look into a little resort on Grand Turk called Bohio. It caters to diving and is very laid back. Most of the dive sites are only a few minutes boat ride (so close that you get into your wetsuit before you get on the boat.

Grand Turk is a little off the beaten path so the reefs there are pristine. The life on them is kind of what the Bahamas were like 20 years ago. I have never seen as many turtles as I did in the waters off of Grand Turk. (We saw turtles on almost every dive and on a couple dives, we saw 5 or more.)

I have been able to dive in Grand Cayman, land based in Provo, and a Live Aboard operating out of Provo, and I highly recommend the Bohio. (Having said that, if you are looking for a lot of night life, then Grand Turk may not be the ideal place for you to go.)

Consider Belize, Ambergris Caye. You live in Austin, it's a short Southwest hop into Belize City. It's relatively inexpensive, they speak English and take the USD. Also, if you get tired of diving you have the option to do land based adventures.

I like diving Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Both are out island experiences.

In Belize, you might consider Turneffe Atoll. I think the diving is better in the Caymans though.

I have also dove Utila. There is a really interesting variety of diving there: muck, walls, reefs and even a couple of sea mounts.

I have heard good things about Grand Turk.

Utila is too buggy in June...I agree about the interesting diving though. One good wreck (Halliburton) a couple smaller ones, lots of swim-thru's - Black Hills is probably one of the seamounts ^ - we saw big everything there.One shallow site is Labrynth - it really is like a maze. The north side is a lot of deep walls and drop-off's. Not likely but possibly a straggler Whale Shark in early June also. Blackish Point or Spotted Bay on the north side are among the best - most of town is south but the boats go around daily.

Grand Cayman's East End is quiet. About 45mins east of Georgetown. Several condo complexes have on-site dive operations - one is Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. My buddy has dove with them - good outfit. Most of the shore dives are on the W/NW side though. As is Stingray City, the Kittiwake, Turtle Reef etc. On the west side, Seven Mile Beach is pretty nice - crowded near Georgetown (cruise port) yet quieter further north - I think that area is even nicer beach wise. All the local shops pickup for diving at any of the resorts and most condo complexes.

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll. I think we have it narrowed to Cayman. I dove Turks and Caicos years ago and also Ambergreis Caye. Now we need to decide where to stay.
Cheers

Thanks ya'll. I think we have it narrowed to Cayman. I dove Turks and Caicos years ago and also Ambergreis Caye. Now we need to decide where to stay.
Cheers
Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom