Recommend a 6 pack dive op for cruise ship stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgilb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Scubaboard,

I'm looking for recommendations for a dive op in Cozumel for a cruise ship stop in February.. We used NCL's chartered boat last time and swore "never again!"

I'm looking for a 6 pack boat that can accommodate a mix of dive experience. We're in port 9-5pm and looking for a 2 tank dive. Nitrox a plus but not required as not everyone is certified. Will need rental gear and an easy way to get to/from the port. Let me know if you have any recommendations, thanks!

There are all kinds of good dive ops that will work with you in Coz.

The difficulty when booking one for a cruise is that the cruise ship's shore window doesn't really match either a morning or an afternoon dive. You can probably schedule a nice long leisurely 1-tank afternoon dive (with an oversize cylinder) without any trouble. I know Aldora does this routinely for cruise customers, and I would imagine other ops do also. Otherwise you'll have to find a dive op that is willing to set aside a boat to make only one trip that day to match your schedule.

Coz dives are drift dives and so you'll all dive the same profile, so nitrox would not be of much help unless you all use it.

I'm looking for a 6 pack boat that can accommodate a mix of dive experience.
How many in your group? If you have 4 or more, you might be able to charter your own boat to go when & where you want.

Do a search and this topic has been covered numerous times.

If you begin disembarking at 9, you may not get off the boat until 10. I don't know of any 2 tank morning dives that leave after 10. Most leave between 7:30 and 8:30. With 4-6 divers though, chartering you own boat is completely reasonable.

Depending on which port you come into, Dive with Martin may be the most convenient. They are within easy walking distance of the international pier. Since we had 4 divers, we just chartered a boat for $400 for a 2 tank dive. The boat was waiting for us when we walked up, in fact it took longer to get off the cruise ship than it did to walk to DWM. Within 10 minutes of arriving at the shop, we were on our way to the first drop in. They also include gear rental in the cost, but we had our own.

Most dive ops will charter a boat for you. With 6 divers you would likely have your own boat anyway. That puts you on your schedule and 9-5 is more than enough time to get a 2 tank dive, long surface interval, some shopping, a few drinks, and a cab back to the pier if necessary.

We dive Aldora for the steel 120 tanks and long dives. They have 7 (I think) boats so a separate boat should not be a problem. Dave is a supporter of this site, shoot them an email and see what they can do to accomodate you.

Christy with Blue XTSea is a supporter of this site as well and runs a top notch operation. She deserves a shot at your business as well.

I have dove with Blue Magic and they were wonderful. I have not dove with Tres Pelicanos but they have a large following on this forum too. I would have no problem diving any of the ops mentioned above, but I do love the big tanks.

Shoot several an email and see what they can do. My experience is that any operator I have ever contacted had been quick to reply to emails and very accommodating to any special requests. Don't forget to tip well!!

Safe travels,
Jay

What's your Cruise Itinerary? If this is your last foreign port of call (and within the travel budget), why not just disembark in Coz and spend the remaining day or two there diving instead of cruising back to your Port of Origin?

My preferred dive op is Tres Pelicanos but given your schedule, the time of year and your desire to have a 6-pack to yourselves, I'd recommend Dive with Martin (book them far in advance for your own boat). I am guessing you'll be docking at the international pier and not in town so DWM is close by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom