Recommend Single-Tank Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'm looking for a DIR compliant single tank wing (i.e. no bungee retaining straps, no pull dump-valves, secure attachment to BP), that can be purchased online.

Other than Halcyon, what other brands are recommended?

I was looking at the HOG 32lbs wing, anyone knows if this is DIR compliant and how's the quality/performance?

I know many like the Oxycheq Mach V but I understand Oxycheq's quality is iffy, and I'd like to avoid if possible.

Also not considering DSS because of the nipple attachment system.

Thanks!

Nipple attachment system? I don't know what you mean by that. DSS uses the same Schrader valve setup for the inflator that everybody else does. I have DSS wings and like them, and they have a nice, short inflator hose.

I believe you are referring to the DSS rubber "nipples" that help align the plate to the wing when putting them together.
If so....keep in mind that they are not something that actually secures the plate to the wing. The cam bands passing through the openings in the center panel of the wing, are what secures the plate and wing.

You don't need those rubber "nipples", the rig is complete without them.

It looks like you have ruled out Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS, and settled on the HOG.

You are essentially asking if the HOG rig is "DIR compliant"........meaning is it acceptable to use in your Fundamentals or "Essentials" class?.........Yes it is.

Your Instructor could provide more clarity on this, of course.

Cheers,
Mitch

Hi all,
I'm looking for a DIR compliant single tank wing (i.e. no bungee retaining straps, no pull dump-valves, secure attachment to BP), that can be purchased online.

Other than Halcyon, what other brands are recommended?

I was looking at the HOG 32lbs wing, anyone knows if this is DIR compliant and how's the quality/performance?

I know many like the Oxycheq Mach V but I understand Oxycheq's quality is iffy, and I'd like to avoid if possible.

Also not considering DSS because of the nipple attachment system.

Thanks!

I believe you are referring to the DSS rubber "nipples" that help align the plate to the wing when putting them together.
If so....keep in mind that they are not something that actually secures the plate to the wing. The cam bands passing through the openings in the center panel of the wing, are what secures the plate and wing.

You don't need those rubber "nipples", the rig is complete without them.

It looks like you have ruled out Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS, and settled on the HOG.

You are essentially asking if the HOG rig is "DIR compliant"........meaning is it acceptable to use in your Fundamentals or "Essentials" class?.........Yes it is.

Your Instructor could provide more clarity on this, of course.

Cheers,
Mitch

Hi Lynne/Mitch,
Yes you are right about the rubber nipple connection thinggy on the DSS wings.

Thanks for the feedback on the HOG 32lbs wing.

Just wondering, what are your thoughts on the Oxycheq Mach V?

Willing to reconsider my options if new information is presented, thanks.

I've never used or seen one, so I couldn't comment on that wing.
I would recommend getting the right size wing, along with a shape that is streamlined; meaning narrow.

Then just go with a brand that you like.
Being honest....I have my brand preferences, just like anyone else.
Go with the brand that you like, or the one that you like the look of (after getting the right size and shape for you).

It's pretty hard to get a bad wing these days.....they are all serviceable.

My brand preferences are DSS, Halcyon, and Zeagle for recreational BCs.
Other divers have different preferences, for their own reasons.....you will too.
Just remember.......they are all good. It really comes down to the company you want to support with your own hard earned money.

Cheers,
Mitch

Hi Lynne/Mitch,
Yes you are right about the rubber nipple connection thinggy on the DSS wings.

Thanks for the feedback on the HOG 32lbs wing.

Just wondering, what are your thoughts on the Oxycheq Mach V?

Willing to reconsider my options if new information is presented, thanks.
I have an Oxycheq Mach V and it's a great wing. My only real complaint about it is that if something goes wrong, you have to deal with Oxycheq to get it fixed.

This is just IMO, but when I buy gear that's supposed to last me for 10-15 years, I take into consideration the service I expect form the company based on what I've seen that company give to others. In my opinion, that leaves Halcyon and DSS as the two winners.

FWIW I prefer Halcyon wings because they use a cloth bladder which is nearly impossible to pinch flat.

FWIW I prefer Halcyon wings because they use a cloth bladder which is nearly impossible to pinch flat.

They can be pinched flat. So, don't cheap out on your bolt snaps (especially around rouge car doors). Thankfully I was in High Springs that week, took it to EE and the wing was good as new in 45 minutes. +1 for Halcyon's service.

Nipple attachment system? I don't know what you mean by that. DSS uses the same Schrader valve setup for the inflator that everybody else does. I have DSS wings and like them, and they have a nice, short inflator hose.
My husband ( an engineer),replaced the nipple attachment system with some nylon nuts/bolts, although I realize that Tobin swears by the nipples. I hated the nipples because they came apart every time I set the the wing down, touched it or moved it. My husband and I simply felt the nipple attachment was a poorly designed system.I also have a Halcyon wing for my 30 lb,cold water wing and I really do like the design of the wing better.

I have mostly halcyon gear but I also have an oxy doubles wing..quality is good and a lot of guys here use them with no issues. None are newer than 2 yrs old though so I can't comment on recent wings. I have not seen any of the dss wings.
Hog, zeagle, scubapro all make nice basic wings.

Absolutely love my Oxycheq Mach V 35lb singles wing. A bunch of friends have them and swear by them. They are one of the more low profile wings out there as well. Only thing needed to make them DIR compliant as with pretty much all the other wings is to cut off the dump valve pull knob and just tie knots in the chord. Also, some say you could replace the corregated inflator hose with something a bit shorter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom