Recommendations for compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just let google decide - bauer air 1,380,000 hits - coltri air 32,000 hits

In that case just do rix air, I got 2,400,000 hits so I guess rix it is LoL

An alternative, type "Rix industries military contracts" over $40 million dollars on the first page.

In all seriousness IMHO there is some merit in using a mil spec oil-free compressor in remote areas.

We have had a Rix SA-6 compressor out on site at Discovery Bay Jamaica on one of our recompression chambers for the last 12 years.

A Rix SA-6G is a current mil spec unit, spares are easy to obtain and cheap, only basic tools required for servicing rings and 0-rings no special tools required to remove the heads or valves.

Final points is with oil free compressors is the no oil part. In effect it means no emulsified oil and water to dispose of and the discharge from oil free being pure distilled water, you can drink it, feed it to the plants or fish. A important point especially in a sensitive areas such as a marine park.

Finally on the subject of remote areas is the disposal of the chemical filter cartridges
These don’t last long in hot climates.

On some of the other compressors that have been suggested in this post you will be lucky to get 8-12 hours out of a cartridge.

So a longer 33inch type filter tower with a repack cartridge is the cheapest form of filtration, with just the chemical (molecular sieve) granules that need to be disposed of.

With oil-free you don’t need the activated carbon or charcoal.

Personally in warm water using an aluminium cylinder only (not steel) I don’t bother with the filter, just straight from the compressor.

Or you can stay with these oil lubricated guys and use conventional plastic or metal “throw-away” cartridges only problem in hot climates it makes you need to import them in by the “pallet load” just to keep purity. Iain Middlebrook.

Iain,
Is that machine still on-island? I'll ask Peter what he thinks...
A

I spoke with Peter Gale yesterday regarding another matter (the chamber) he has an ongoing service requirement that we are discussing, and I am trying to "find" our now 10 year old engineering drawings of the original build that I promised him were still in our archive and were "no problem to find" LoL. Buried under tons of paperwork

As it looks like they will be servicing up the deco chamber system some time soon, so maybe the little compressor could be relieved of duty and replaced. Its sitting outside at the moment unused has been for some time. I could send you a picture of it if you like as its so old.

I will be quoting him both options a new replacement or service up on the old unit but the original Rix is electric not petrol so only the block would be of interest to you.

At 5.5 acfm it is a little small for the chamber as there are some larger compressors about the centre these may be better for the bigger chamber so the little Rix may get scrapped. Iain Middlebrook

Ian et al,
Is there any argument for new versus second-hand/reconditioned?
The 50% cost certainly makes buying new hard to justify...
A

Ian et al,
Is there any argument for new versus second-hand/reconditioned?
The 50% cost certainly makes buying new hard to justify...
A

Man ... that is a real tough question. Of course, since I make my living selling new compressors, I suggest new. However, there are some real good deals out there.

If you are lucky enough to get one of those famous fire house upgrades where the compressor hasn't been run much and has had overpriced service done on it regularly, then you will score big time.

Then again, there are some real disasters out there as well. There is one guy that sells rebuilds, war surplus, odds and ends as "overhauled" but all he really does is steam clean and paint them. I spent the day yesterday with a guy that purchased a used machine from a dive shop and the compressor was is serious need of help. By the time he spent all the money he did for the compressor and then all that he needed to to make it work, he could have purchased a new one with a warranty.

I guess what I am saying is, if you are going to buy used, make sure you see and hear it run first. Look at and and feel the oil. Get in there and inspect closely until you get a real good feeling for the machine before you spend any money.

Good hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom