• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Recommendations for Easy Breathing Regs?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by cogito222, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DreadnoughtNH

DreadnoughtNH Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    So much this!!!

But to answer the OP question directly, I have an AL Legend first stage and reg. It's probably overkill for the diving I'm regularly doing (travel, warm water), but it breathes SUPER easy, particularly when I set it to max flow. I tend to back it down to min flow to conserve air (yeah, I'm a gas hog), and it does have a tendency to wheeze slightly when I do that. But if you're looking for a good setup (and can afford the AL price), I think it's worth it.

2. Cj3141

Cj3141 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    + on the AL legend. I have lx supreme and greatly enjoy it.

3. Diver below 83

Diver below 83 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I’d recommend the deep 6 signature set. For the price your not going to find a better complete set. Secondly if you can wait till the Black Friday sales they throw your going to get a fantastic deal.

Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package

4. GJC

GJC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Touche!

Add to my last question:

And whether you mind mailing your regulator to get it serviced.

wetb4igetinthewater likes this.
  5. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have dove Poseidon rigs -- Cyklon, Jetstream, and Xstream -- for decades; and, provided, that they are kept up to specs, breathe beautifully and dry, regardless of your position in the water.

The complaints that I have typically heard of the brand, have come from poorly maintained equipment; that, and just grossly inaccurate calibration -- the ballparking, that is all too common in dive shops these days. Other complaints have been the cost of maintenance; but Scubapro parts, for example, are on par, if not now, more expensive.

Away from my test bench, I can get most regs within "the sweet spot" simply with an decent IP guage and a hemostat that I carry in my bag . . .

6. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    i wouldn't buy anything until checking what deep 6 has on offer on black friday

7. Jayfarmlaw

Jayfarmlaw Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You might get in touch with Beaver divers in Denver. They sell their MK25evo/S600 regs from their rental/demo fleet for great prices. I have bought two sets from them and other than a few scratches on one S600, they were like brand new for a fraction of the price. Great people to deal with and I got top of the line regulators for not much more than I would pay for a much lower end set.

Most higher end (and many lower end) regulators will have an adjustment that will make them easier to breathe. That adjustment definately makes a difference on our Scubapros. Check for a knob on the left side of the 2nd stage. When mine is WFO, it almost breathes for you.

Good luck,
    Jay

scubadada likes this.
  8. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    OT: I think that is smart business. They probably sell more SP regs than the average dive shop.

9. Saboteur

Saboteur Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Exactly....I had my own reg set develop a problem on a trip so I needed to rent regs off of the operator for the last two days, they were Scubapro (don't know the model) but visually and likely the same model as the dive boat keeps sets stowed on board. One set breathed great, the other was noticeably more difficult to breathe. For the most part it's not the reg, it's the tuning. Price differences are features, materials and finish.

Lostdiver71 likes this.
  10. CanadaDan

CanadaDan Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    It's indeed more about the tuning than the particular set. Rental sets can take a beating and the set you had may just have needed a good retune,

Buy a a set based on your needs (temp and travel weight typically being the biggest factors) and budget from your local dive shop.

FWIW my Apeks XL4+ set is cold'ish' rated, light weight, easy breathing... but a bit over the budget mentioned.