Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does B&B really blend Trimix (looking at their website) Sorry, things to keep in mind should I ever come over to Maui for a weekend...what about doubles, I hear those are impossible to find as well...

Yup - Brad is a Trimix Blender instructor as well. I'm sure if you contacted him well in advance he could arrange some AL80 doubles, but you'd have to do that far enough ahead that someone could use the mix he usually has in them (don't know anyone that likes throwing out perfectly good mix).

As well I'd be happy to loan ya' my doubles - 1 set of 80's and 1 set of LP 72's ... (which are really nice if you can get a 3000psi fill) course that's assuming I won't be diving with you :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Reef's End Drift has been an option a third or less of the time when I've been leading there, but there are others here that do it way more than me so my perception is not neccessarily gospel. Most of the time we head around the corner until it's a bit of a fight to make headway, then drift back across the sand channel to see the garden eels. Only led Reverse Reef's End Drift once, but more from private boats, it's cool but not neccessarily better, IMO :)

The boat crew should want you to have the best day ever, or at least the best day at Molokini ever, gratuities are just better that way! They should be looking for the best dive for the group on board every time out, my crew mates and I always are. Nobody is right all the time, but the good ones always try. Molokini is pretty cool, some that don't try very hard even have satisfied customers :14:

I never worry about the dive sites that are chosen since I know they will be the best ones based on the conditions that day. I'd say to book with whatever your chosen operator is and go have fun.

I never worry about the dive sites that are chosen since I know they will be the best ones based on the conditions that day. I'd say to book with whatever your chosen operator is and go have fun.
Amen.

I think a lot of divers want to do the backwall simply because it has some sort of reputation as being an advanced dive. It's an awesome, awe inspiring near vertical wall, but for critters and variety of formation from slope to pure wall, I'll take Reef's End.

It's hard to find a bad dive at Molokini. Enenue drift has the grey sharks. Reef's End has whitetips, lots of critters, and you can include a visit to the garden eels if you start inside. Center Reef isn't as heralded a dive, but it has some nice plate coral and because of its well protected location, and is a beautiful example of a climax reef (the biological equivalent of an old growth forest). Even a dive on the inside of Reef's End has its attractions, such as the "Orange Grove" which is usually teeming with smaller fish.

Another things I often hear on boats are divers saying "We went there yesterday, so we don't want to go back". I guess I'm a bit unusual in that I prefer to repeat sites and observe the differences from day to day.

The crews on the better boats try hard to find the best site for the conditions (both ocean and experience level of divers onboard) each day. Rather than worrying a lot about the specific site, I just mention any particular preference I have, if any, and then just kick back and go with the flow.

Plus, why would a dive operator not show its boat on its website, instead choosing to show its owner sitting on a motorcycle?

Here is a photo of the BB boat from Friday.. It's an excellent dive platform:

DSC_0135.jpg

Sean

Again, the groups listed as "good" operators run very similar sized-boats that are all pretty good at handling divers -- some better in some ways, worse in others, but it's one of those "no perfect" boat.

Honestly, the only one on the recommended list that stands apart is Prodiver who is certified for twice the capacity than they actually take... should be much more roomy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom