Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when I see a New Member come on this board to bash someone, they dont hold much credence with me. I am sorry, but I cant spend an hour or two calling long distance to the island to find out a bunch of information from a dive shop. THIS board is where we get it from.

So "Lives to dive" come here for a while... tell us all about the local stuff, help the true divers out... and then maybe I'll listen to you... but until then, I see it as you are in it ONLY for the money rather then helping a fellow diver out.

Sometimes even the best dive shops/charters don't have time to answer emails about specifics, they are too occupied with helping their clients have an enjoyable dive. And YES, sometimes you DO need to make some long distance calls, to get the best answers.

It looks like 'lives to dive' has been a member for almost a year. He has been reading many posts, like we do, and maybe only felt the need or desire to post on this thread. We don't have too many posts ourselves. It is about the QUALITY of the post, NOT HOW MANY TIMES you post or opine ( hint, hint KrisB). Maggi

Aloha everyone,

I agree with KrisB. Please, let this thread die.

Thank you,
Blesi

Your biggest decision likely will be whether or not you want to drive down to Kihei to catch a boat, or stick with a charter company near Kaanapali (out of Lahaina). :wink: Regardless of who you choose, have a wonderful trip! :D

Wow, finally, after quite a spell and lots of infighting, someone posts information that I, the forgotten originator of this forlorn thread, can follow-up on.

I really do not look forward to the long, dark, lonely, so-early-in-the-morning-it-still-feels-like-last-night drive from Kaanapali to Kihei, but am not aware of any charter company going to the Molokini Crater backwall from Lahaina, aside from Lahaina divers. Can you elaborate for me, Maven?

On a related but unrelated note, KrisB, your opinions are fine by me though I, like any other, filter them through my own clouded mask. To the KrisB(ashers) out there, your opinions are fine, too, though I would prefer it if you bashers would stick to the original thread, dis/agree where you see fit and leave the personal attacks behind :no.

Let's try to remember that this thread is all about ME :D and helping ME, and those in my fins, try to get the best dive experience possible for the Molokini Backwall or nearby environs.

well...if you DO end up driving, like I did, I was diggin that Garmin Nuvi 350 :D

She sounded kinda put out if I made the wrong turn, like this exasperated sigh...the crabby wife I don't have. otherwise, *she* made the drive pretty mindless.

I need one that speaks on the boat and can dive for the bouy! I want Danielle Tucker though! Chepar, you have connections don't ya? man, she has a nice voice and can do those breathy Hawaiian names so nice.

I really do not look forward to the long, dark, lonely, so-early-in-the-morning-it-still-feels-like-last-night drive from Kaanapali to Kihei, but am not aware of any charter company going to the Molokini Crater backwall from Lahaina, aside from Lahaina divers. Can you elaborate for me, Maven?

You pretty much have it right, Lahaina Divers is the only operator out of Lahaina that does the backwall. I'm sure you've read Catherine and Tim's review of LD on another thread, and the advantage that you get to do 2 dives on the backwall with them instead of 1 like with most operators. IMO if you enjoy boat rides and want to see whales (during whale season), it can be an outstanding ride to Molokini from Lahaina, and those big Newtons are an extremely comfortable ride, even in bumpy water.

Personally, we think it's worth the drive down to Kihei (we stay in Kaanapali too) to catch a boat to Molokini. The boat ride is shorter (we've done Molokini with LD many times in the past), and the dives aren't quite as "structured" as LD makes them. IMO LD is a quality operator that focuses on the more beginning or occasional diver, which makes them far more structured than most other operators are.

Whatever you do go with the Aloha spirit and have a great time.

We went with Ed Robbisons at the time I was only a DM but I was quite impressed and I had done allot of dives with probably one of the best dive companies ever being Eco Adventures out of Kona.

Since then I have dove all over Asia including Sipadan and the Coral Sea and that has always been one of my favorite dives. I agree somewhat with the statement about dropping on big swell days, depends on the crowd and the comfort level, do like the tech guys do and anyone can say no with no reason needed to be justified, if you think it is too big; of course the boat capt and the head diver have the final OK.

do like the tech guys do and anyone can say no with no reason needed to be justified, if you think it is too big

Unfortunately, many of the divers we see in Maui don't know their own limitations and rely on the DMs and Instructors to keep them safe. Whether this is right or wrong, well, that's a different issue... it doesn't change the truth of the matter.

A lot of visitors here (and local occasional-divers, I suppose) look at it as a "I paid for the dive, they're not going to refund it if I cancel, and they think I can do it... dang it, I'm getting wet!"

So, if we want to solve this, the dive ops will need to step up and say "if you call the dive because it's too advanced, we'll refund part (if you still do the other dive) or all of your money, despite the fact that you prevented another diver from taking that seat." Just think on how well that will go over.

Well, time is counting down and I am narrowing down my choices. I was inclined to try B & B since they seemed to have good reviews from you people and a good price, but frankly their response to email inquiries--when they decided to respond at all--were underwhelming and totally unhelpful. Plus, why would a dive operator not show its boat on its website, instead choosing to show its owner sitting on a motorcycle?

Mike Severns and Ed Robinsons seem to be running neck and neck, and Prodiver, while more costly, has a good reputation, a nice boat and only take 6 people.

Maui divers runs out of Lahaina, which is more convenient, but they seem to be geared towards, for want of a better term, a cattle dive boat experience.

Any last minute input would be welcome. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom