Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quietstorm

Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of repeating a question that has no doubt been asked before, I wonder whether you kind folks can give me some advice about which Maui boat charter is preferable for a two tank dive with the first along the backwall of Molokini Crater.

There seems to be so many to choose from and their websites seem to be fairly similar.

I dove the backwall many years ago and had a great trip with a shop whose name I forget (but was right next to a fast food restaurant in Lahaina) with only 6 divers on a fast and comfortable boat with a great DM (Trevor) and captain (Ray was her name). I dove with Prodiver last October and while the equipment and service were great, we ended up doing a dive inside the crater since the other 5 divers were beginners (which I understand) and a second dive at a site with a sunken boat and a garden of stacked Goodyear tires with little sea life....

So this time around, I am so eager to get to the backwall. I would like an operator where there is good equipment, professional service, a nice boat, and the best chance to have a great experience along the Molokini backwall....

Thank you for your suggestions.

I book with Ed Robinsons every year. They leave out of Kihei. I also like Mike Severns a lot. Both tend to cater to more advanced divers. Extended Horizons from Lahaina is also good if you are on that side of the island.

We also dive with Ed Robinsons every year when we're on Maui, and have charters booked with them already for Christmas! :D Like Scott said, they and Mike Severns cater more to the experienced diver. B&B is also very recommended though I understand they take beginners on their boat.

If you want to be nearly 100% assured not to have beginners on a charter, book Ed Robinson's 3-tank charter. It's specifically labeled as for intermediate to advanced divers as their first site is often Shark Condos which is 130'.

Some folks around here aren't fans of Ed Robinson's, but in the nearly 25 charters we've done with them we haven't had one bad experience.

Ok, here's some food for thought:

1. Capt. Rae (unless there's another one) now works for Maui Dive Shop and she is usually on one of the boats out of the Kihei Boat Ramp.

2. "Both tend to cater to more advanced divers" -- is a bit of a misnomer. They both *claim* to, but neither will turn away divers that are fresh out of their OW certification class. They both have some charters they try to reserve for the experienced diver, and Ed Robinson's has the advantage of having two boats, so if there's enough bookings, they can split the group up by experience level.

That said, you're just as likely to find a group of experienced divers on Prodiver or Makena Coast as you are either of these ops.

3. Any operator that will guarantee a Backwall dive is one you don't want to dive with. And that statement is not too strong -- the conditions on the Backwall cannot be judged until the boat is actually there, looking at it. Oftentimes the current is very strong, or there is a heavy swell hitting that side. If the operator will drop divers in anyways (there are one or two around here that do), then are you *sure* you want to put your life in their hands?

4. Extended Horizons is a great operator, but they don't go to Molokini -- they stick to Lanai and the West Maui area.

5. In the six charters I've taken with Ed Robinson's, there have been safety, illegal and poor customer service issues with four of them. I won't dive with them again.

Interestingly, of all the scuba operators that head to Molokini (then do a second dive there or somewhere else), only three consistently go to the St. Anthony wreck: Makena Coast Dive Charters, Mike Severns and Ed Robinson's. :D

But seriously -- now that you've had this experience and don't want to see the St. Anthony again (to perhaps give it a second choice), tell whichever operator you book with that. In fact, when you call to make the booking, ask for the Backwall -- sometimes that's all it takes!

I'd go with Kris B from what I've seen.

If you are flexible on the day you want to do the dive you might let the op know so they can put you on a day with more experienced divers. As was stated, it's impossible to know the conditions at Molokini until the day of the dive. Nearly all the ops will attempt the Backwall if it is diveable and they have a more experienced group of divers.

I would actually recommend B&B because if the backwall is diveable and they have a mixed group, they will split the group up and take the new group to a ledge at the "start" of the backwall dive and keep them shallow, while the more experienced divers will head on down to 90-110fsw. They tend to have enough DM's to split the group up with 4 divers or less per DM frequently (I've been on the boat with as many as 7 DM/Instructors and 12 divers lol) - Plus Blessi makes great sweetbread sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies :p

Have a great trip :D

btw - Frequently their second dive will off Red Hill and will be close to an hour long dive - quite shallow, but lots of life.

catherine96821:
I'd go with Kris B from what I've seen.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a boat ... which means it's a LONG swim out to Molokini :wink:

But if you want a great shore dive definitely drop him a PM

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Unfortunately he doesn't have a boat ... which means it's a LONG swim out to Molokini :wink:

But if you want a great shore dive definitely drop him a PM

Aloha, Tim
Sssh Tim!

I was going to use it as an opportunity to refresh the "tired diver tow" skill! :D

I've never seen illegal activities nor poor customer service with Ed Robinsons, I would like to hear what you have seen (pm is fine). I have always had a great time with them. I really appreciate the fact that they let us dive our own profile and don't over supervise the dives. I go with a large group of instructors and divemasters so they pretty much leave us be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom