Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quietstorm:
The majority seems to be in favor of B and B, and your comments on safety really intrigued me. What was it about them that you noticed safety-wise that impressed you? I never really think I know what attributes to pay attention to for safety ssues on a dive boat and would like to learn more.
I don't think "the majority" is in favour of B&B -- just a few vocal individuals.

I'm really curious, too, as to what is causing the claim of "safest" to be made, as that isn't exactly a word I've heard to describe them... and unless I'm mis-understanding Tim, having two groups doing separate dives (one drifting, the other not) certainly does *not* warrant the title...

Checking out the thread and it looks like we have the following totals:

Ed Robinsons 5 votes
Mike Severns: 1 vote
BB scuba 5 votes...

Honestly most of the boats are fine but I'd probably avoid the militant "no peeing in the wetsuit" operator (scubashack) but I'd bet they would be fine too if you didn't pee in your suit :) They all dive the same spots (from my experiences) so for me it comes down to price. I like the fact that BB is pretty laid back, goes out early and gets back early, and has some cool flexible DM's(you can dive with the owners too) who will make sure you can drain your tank and enjoy your dive to the max.

Here are the prices I can find:

BB: 109.00
Makena Coast: 134.00
Maui Dive Shop: 129.95
Scuba Shack: 125.00
Ed Robinson: $126.00

All prices don't include tax.

Some didn't have prices on the website so I didn't include them (Mike Severns(no price) and Zero Gravity which doesn't have an english website (Japanese only)). You can see BB is the cheapest. I'd say ER probably has the best diving operation (2 boats), but I'd still go with the underdog and low-price leader, BBscuba! :)

It's really a Vista/OSX flamewar that will never end.

I hope you have a great trip and tell us your experiences!

Sean

KrisB:
I don't think "the majority" is in favour of B&B -- just a few vocal individuals.

I'm really curious, too, as to what is causing the claim of "safest" to be made, as that isn't exactly a word I've heard to describe them... and unless I'm mis-understanding Tim, having two groups doing separate dives (one drifting, the other not) certainly does *not* warrant the title...

Maybe you should read Tim's post again. B&B has never done what you desribed. We either do a drift or we don't.

B&B has never had an incident in the 18 years we've been in operation. End of story.

Have a safe dive!:D :D

Mike Severns is $140 for a 2-tank trip. You have to scroll down on their website page "info and reservations" to find it.

I think it's like gear....it's a matter of finding the operator that fits you best.

I've dived with the three main operators mentioned -- B&B, Ed Robinson, and Mike Severns. They all seem to run good operations, efficient and safe. The "flavor" is a little different. Mike Severns is my choice for Kihei area charter diving, and that has to do with the emphasis on marine biology on the boat. They have excellent ID books on board, and Pauline is co-author of a number of marine life guides. We have also had the good fortune to be among more advanced divers off their boat (they split the group and put the beginners with one guide, and the advanced divers with Pauline). At any rate, they'd be my first choice.

KrisB:

Little clarification - both groups were drifting - just one started at the ledge where there is a hard bottom (40-60fsw depending on where) and slowly worked up from there while the other group dropped down below the ledge and worked up - everyone drifted in the same direction, just different depths for different skill levels - the ledge just gives newer divers a chance to get their "bearings" without the opportunity of dropping down at the beginning. Plus there are usually extra DM's with that group.

anyway - just a bit of missunderstanding there :wink:

Aloha, Tim

divebuddysean:
Some didn't have prices on the website so I didn't include them (Mike Severns(no price) and Zero Gravity which doesn't have an english website (Japanese only)). You can see BB is the cheapest. I'd say ER probably has the best diving operation (2 boats), but I'd still go with the underdog and low-price leader, BBscuba! :)

I'd stay away from the Japanese only website one, unless you're Japanese and that is what you prefer. I'd venture to say that they're prices are likely much higher to boot.

blesi varney:
B&B has never had an incident in the 18 years we've been in operation.

I guess I'll have to quit refering to our shark sighting as an "incident"...maybe "encounter" is a better choice.

My praise for B&B is based on my needs/situation coming from the mainland: appreciating the personal touch, diving options, familiarity, professionalism, very little turnover in the 12 years I've been going to Maui...and those sandwiches!!! As a divemaster, I see how the B&B employees deal with customers of all skill levels...it is truly impressive.

Loud and Proud, KrisB!

Jon C received no compesation for this endorsement.....:wink:

Ok, now I am all confused..... geez... make up your minds!!! ha ha ... who should I dive with??

**Hi-jack**

You Maui divers need to do some serious campaigning over there. Your operators don't offer kama 'aina rates. You need to get that going and start a dive club where you have some say in the matter. With the Superferry (maybe), there may be more Oahu divers showing up to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom