Recommendations for Non-Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice vid and super pics, Robin...!

It's in the first minute of her video, and do play it full screen...!

Thanks Don for the information. It certainly is affordable at that hotel. I am curious to see if they would stay there again.

Thanks Don for the information. It certainly is affordable at that hotel. I am curious to see if they would stay there again.
Well, I took that as a yes since she said "Loved the hotel, we would stay there again or one of the other two right at CI." She said in video that rooms were small and cozy. Sidestep will search for hotels at Chichen Itza and also lists others...
Hotel Chichen Itza for $66-70 including taxes
Hotel Mayaland for $88
The Lodge Chichen Itza for $200

I've got a "family" of non-diving friends heading to Cozumel. While I consider myself a "regular" visitor to the island, and have given them my list of "things to do", I'm looking for other ideas. Please share.

Jeff.
Go fishing. Deep sea fishing for marlin, sailfish, dorado (mahi-mahi), tuna, etc. is very cool, and bonefishing on the flats up north is tons of fun as well.

Well, I took that as a yes since she said "Loved the hotel, we would stay there again or one of the other two right at CI." She said in video that rooms were small and cozy. Sidestep will search for hotels at Chichen Itza and also lists others...
Hotel Mayaland for $88

I have to thank you again for your far more careful reading!!! I guess I need those reading glasses far more than I ever thought!

I have to thank you again for your far more careful reading!!! I guess I need those reading glasses far more than I ever thought!
Haha, I wouldn't know, but it's easy to read over things here I know too well. I know people born during the Johnson administration and even before who pretend they don't need glasses, but I don't know your birth president. At least you don't have an eye-doc talk about cat surgery in the future. :shocked2: If we're lucky, we age.

Anyway, when Robin returns she just might suggest one of the others as more appealing. For us, two beds in a cozy room for two big guys can be crowded, but for one night between busy days - we probly won't care much. I am going to read more on the other two in our price range at the ruins.

Haha, I wouldn't know, but it's easy to read over things here I know too well. I know people born during the Johnson administration and even before who pretend they don't need glasses, but I don't know your birth president. At least you don't have an eye-doc talk about cat surgery in the future. :shocked2: If we're lucky, we age.

Anyway, when Robin returns she just might suggest one of the others as more appealing. For us, two beds in a cozy room for two big guys can be crowded, but for one night between busy days - we probly won't care much. I am going to read more on the other two in our price range at the ruins.

I was born well before the Johnson administration! Sometimes I am just a little to vain to put the readers on. I see our Cozumel vacations overlap a couple of days, perhaps a SB happy hour!

I was born well before the Johnson administration! Sometimes I am just a little to vain to put the readers on. I see our Cozumel vacations overlap a couple of days, perhaps a SB happy hour!
Sounds fun. I may start an August thread soon if no one else does.

So much conflicting info on locations; the map seems more reliable than the sites, altho I do catch them wrong at times. Looks like Hotel Mayaland is closest, Hacienda C-I next, Villas Arqueologicas next furthermost at C-I, while the others may be in town. Still learning this map. Sidestep has Hotel Chichen Itza at the wrong location (happens) or wrong name? There is one by that name in town.

The Lodge at Chichen Itza seems to be towards VDD, and the Hacienda doesn't seem to book their Orbitz or any of those sites.

Last edited:
I would also recommend Chichen Itza. It is incredible, you hire your own guide and it can be done in a day. Our family took the ferry over to the mainland and rented a car. We got back to Playa late in the afternoon and took the ferry back to Coz. Any resort you stay out can arrange for a guided tour to Chichen Itza.

Regards,

Bill

Hotel Mayaland for $88

hey Judy!
Yes, what Don said. Villas Archaeoligicas in Piste. Get the map if you haven't already.

We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Price was good, the grounds were beautiful, like being deep in the jungle (take bug spray!), and the hotel is built in a circular shape, with the pool in the center as well as the restaurant. In fact, you can sit at a table on the island in middle of pool. :D The rooms are not huge, at least ours wasn't but they may have bigger ones. We loved the hotel, staff was great, and the food was GREAT. We had dinner the night we arrived, at around 8pm and there were lots of other guests there, eating, surfing internet, or swimming in pool. Menu is good, food very good, and not watered-down tourist food. Really hot salsas and sauces, rich and yummy! We have already decided that when we come back down, we will stay there more than one night and use that pool in middle of day when it is hottest. :D But as I said, I would expect all the hotels in that area to be the same in quality! I would stay at any of them.

You said you are visiting in August....... uugghhhh. Warning! We were there last week of March and it was HOT, really hot. Our tour guide told us that in summer it is really hot, that day wasn't too bad. Uggghhhh. There is very little shade at Chichen Itza, and as I mentioned, the area is deep lush jungle, so very humid. Be prepared! Take sunscreen, wear a hat and light-weight white clothing. You will appreciate this!
Also, do the ruins in the morning before noon, then spend your afternoon in other areas, like one of the local cenotes or the hotel pool.

Hope this helps!

robin:D

I did Coba in August arriving late in the morning and it was hot but with two quart thermoses of cold water in my backpack - doable. 8am sounds much better for either, and at least CI doesn't seem like a mountain bike park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom