Recommendations for Suunto Vyper Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carthaigh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper Air computer with Transmitter. I like the idea that I can spend <$1k and get a wrist mounted computer with a transmitter to eliminate a hose. If you have one, would you recommend it for a first computer? Any issues or problems with this computer? Looking for a little feedback before buying. TIA.

Carthaigh -

My Vyper Air is sitting at my home in the states waiting to be picked up in a few days. (I'm overseas right now). I've been using the Vyper2 which is pretty much the exact same interface minus the nice Air Transmitter function and an improved compass. Overall it's an EXCELLENT computer. Easy to use. Large Display. Big buttons. Conservative algorithm (which will keep you alive). Since I've yet to use my new Air with the wireless transmitter, I can't comment on that yet, however, according to others I've spoken to, it's quite reliable.

That being said, you mentioned you want to eliminate hoses. With a sport like diving which is all about safety and fun, it is always a good idea to have a back-up "just in case" something goes wrong. If you get rid of your SPG and rely totally on your computer - if your transmitter fails, get's flooded, or worse yet, your entire computer goes kaput, at best, you gotta cancel your dive unless you have a backup. At worst - well, you know what could happen. I will carry a full backup (SPG, depth gauge, and compass) with me. Can't put a price on peace of mind. To each their own.

P.S. Leisure Pro just raised the price of the Vyper Air to $785 USD. It used to be under $715. I don't know why....

** UPDATE: As of July 5, 2009, LP has raised the price yet again to $799 USD for the Vyper Air...must be summer time pricing! **
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I personally do not have one, I got the HelO2 instead for my technical diving, but I do know that the divers at my LDS who did get one have been very pleased. Other than there being a few who have the same transmitter code, having problems picking up the link when they are too close to each other, everyone I've seen has been happy with it. At this moment they seem to be so popular that we have trouble at times, keeping enough in stock.

i haven't had experience with the suunto wireless transmitters, but i own an Oceanic Atom 2.0 which is also wireless and I love it! It has been very reliable and I've had no problems with it.

One thing to keep in mind, like tstormdiver mentioned, the one complaint I've heard about suunto wireless computers is that they have to be synced before every dive. If there are a couple of people trying to sync at the same time, there have been instances where a computer gets synced with the wrong transmitter.

That is one of the things I really like about my oceanic, in the oceanics, the transmitter has a "transmitter number", you program that into the computer and it will only sync with that transmitter, and it automatically syncs as soon as the transmitter gets pressurized and the computer is close enough to it. I don't know if the suuntos will do this but my oceanic can be programmed to monitor up to 3 transmitters at the same time.

I have nothing against the suuntos, they are great computers, just stating what I've heard. As far as the wireless, it is awesome. I do carry backup SPG just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

Cheers,
Willy

I have a Vytec and have never had any problems with the transmitter. It has never failed on me. I think any time your computer fails you should abort the dive and just do a slow ascent and do your safety stop. Even with a backup spg you wouldn't have dive time remaining or safety stop requirements.

That is one of the things I really like about my oceanic, in the oceanics, the transmitter has a "transmitter number", you program that into the computer and it will only sync with that transmitter, and it automatically syncs as soon as the transmitter gets pressurized and the computer is close enough to it. I don't know if the suuntos will do this but my oceanic can be programmed to monitor up to 3 transmitters at the same time.

Interesting. I have been looking at that exact Oceanic as well. They seem to be very good computers. Thanks!

Does anyone know of any Suunto authorized online dealers that sell the Vyper Air ?

Does anyone know of any Suunto authorized online dealers that sell the Vyper Air ?

I don't know if they are an online dealer but if you live in Boulder, CO the authorized Suunto dealers near you are:

OCEAN FIRST DIVERS
3015 BLUFF STREET
80301 BOULDER, CO
Phone: 303-444-PADI (7234)
web: Welcome to Ocean First Divers

- and -

SCUBA JOE
3054 28TH STREET
80301 BOULDER, CO
Phone: 303-444-7234

Perhaps you can call and ask them or just buy from there.

I've used air integrated computers for years, I've just ordered a Suunto Vyper Air to use on my regulator with a Suunto transmitter. I've never had any problems, but I would recommend a button gage to read tank pressure when the handset isn't readily available. You will, however, need a reg with 2 HP ports.

I had a Vytek that was replaced with a D9. Both of these units worked really well with the Suunto transmitter. I would expect the Vyper Air to work equally as well.

Take Care
Cheryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom