Recommendations in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbnewton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking into a trip to Raja Ampat this winter. We will have non-divers so live aboard is not appropriate. My requirements are simple: need unlimited snorkeling on house reef for the non divers and need well run resort and dive center for the divers.

Currently looking into Papau Explorers. Anyone have any experience there? Any other recommended places to look into?

Raja Ampat Dive Lodge (RADL) : the most affordable operation in the comfortable aircon bungalows range, they can arrange birdwatching trips too.
Personally if budget was not an issue, I would go to Misool Eco resort, only resort located South of R4 (ie. the best dive place in R4) .

Otherwise still catering to Dampier straits/Pulau Pef area (ie. north & central) my pick would go to Raja4divers that looks also friendly for non divers with different beach/snorkeling areas, small island treks, they provide kayaks, massages, etc... Swiss/german run, hence quality guaranteed.

I've been to RADL, MER & Raja4Divers. They are all good for nondiver to snorkel. I think they don't charge anything for snorkeling if you bring your own gear.

RADL Raja Ampat Dive Lodge | Dive Resor is the cheapest one and has AC in their bungalows, as @Luko mentioned. It's about 1.5-hour boat ride from Sorong. I was there 7 years ago, so things may change since.

MER Home is the most expensive, but the most beautiful resort among the 3. It'll take about 4-hour boat ride from Sorong.

Raja4Divers is the best diving experience among the 3. Unfortunately, no AC in their bungalows. It was a bit uncomfortable for this wimpy guy to sleep without AC in the equatorial climate, especially when there was no breeze & hearing fan noise blowing through the mosquito net covered bed all night. It'll take about 3- hour boat ride from Sorong. I was there last May & posted a trip report here: Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

On my way home from Raja4Divers, I met a resort developer, Brian Jan, from Hong Kong in Swiss Bell hotel in Sorong and he sent me a link to his new resort in Waisai, which would be about the same boat ride distance as to RADL from Sorong. I may check it out next time I'm in the neighborhood: HOME - Meridian Adventure Dive Hotel

Last edited:
First time we went (2013), we stayed at Raja Ampat Dive Resort. They have a house reef so you can snorkel all you want. I must say though, I really didn't like the food as it was every day the same. It were just new managers and they didn't seem to care that much (also not about the diving). Maybe it changed by now...

It sounds like Papau Explorers is not on anyone's radar?
I see no mention of the resort here on SB, but seems to get far better Trip Advisor reviews that RADR, and lies price-wise somewhere between RADR and Miscool.

Does anyone have any experience or insights to offer on PE?

I see no mention of the resort here on SB, but seems to get far better Trip Advisor reviews that RADR, and lies price-wise somewhere between RADR and Miscool.

Have you read this thread?
Raja Ampat : Papua Explorers Resort on Gam

yes of course, I would clearly go to Papua Explorers on a heartbeat. Lovely bungalows, nice people too.
That said when I wanted to book they where full, and it seems they are often... success pays off.

I named these 3 resorts because of either their price or their luxury "differenciation".
There are more luxurious resorts than Papua Explorers like MER and R4D, also RADL is the least expensive of the "comfortable" Raja Ampat lodges.

btw do not mix up RADL and RADR, two different operations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom