Recommendations of Padi CDCs for DM and OWSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been a rescue diver for a couple years now and am ready to step into the professional world of diving. I am currently going through the difficult process of finding a place (location and op) to complete my training.

At the moment I haven't narrowed it down to a region because I would rather travel to get a better education rather than settle for something just because it's near me.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks guys!

Still have to complete DM..I still teach here in NY-westchester.. I can get you going on DM and set up a course director for an IDC.. We have a DM class starting very soon if interested. As to what would be a good location, I have to say if you plan on teaching locally then take the courses at a lds that you may want to teach out of. They will have the most invested in you and would most likely give you a shot at teaching for them than someone off the street. I would recommend to allot about 1 year to get to the IDC.Get experience using your DM cert learning what to do and more important what not to do from instructors who have been at it for a while. Hopefully you will work with instructors who are great at what they do and even instructors who are not so good at what they do.It'll give you something to compare.

Have you looked at the Philippines ?

I'd recommend looking at a shop that employs a few instructors, so you can learn from all of them and see their different teaching styles as you progress through the DM course and onto the IDC.

Bubble Junky,

Did you get do your OWSI at Thresher, or do you work there now? Why do you recommend them?

Was that supposed to be CD (Course Director) or CDC (Career Development Center)? You don't need a CDC for DM and OWSI, you don't need a CD for DM even. Several of the CDC's I've talked to come across as "instructor factories", which will get you your certification, but not necessarily a quality education. What's your plan once certified? Do you want to work/teach in a specific location or travel?

Career Development Center is what I meant.
I understand I don't have to go to a CDC to earn my DM and OWSI. Feel free to recommend another place that isn't necessarily a CDC.
Which CDCs that you have talked to sounded like "instructor factories?" This is the sort of information I am looking for -places to avoid as well as places to look in to.

At the moment I have no plans to work in a specific region.

Thanks

I'm not comfortable naming names of instructor factories, but there are several CDC's that claim to get you through DM and IDC in a month or less. Those places are the instructor factories.

At the dive center I previously worked at (which has been around for 55 years, is home to 4 large college programs, a staff of roughly 40 instructors and 2 CD's), our DM course typically ran roughly 6 months. Some people could get through a little more quickly, others could take twice as long. That gives a DM real experience which will make them stand out among other staff members. Since hiring is usually done in resort locations seasonally, there is a likelihood that you may not be renewed beyond the high season unless you are one of the best. A month training is not likely to make you the best.

If you don't mind getting into cold water (which is actually a marketable asset when applying for jobs), I would highly recommend Eugene Skin Divers Supply (ESDS) in Eugene, OR. My first summer as an OWSI, I started looking for a job and everywhere I applied I got interviews and was offered positions because they had actually heard of ESDS and the quality instructors they produce. I don't work there currently and I get nothing for you taking classes there, I just firmly believe they create very high quality staff.

Des Paroz would be a CD I'd recommend, he's in Australia and has affiliated with several dive centers. Camille at idcthailand.com also gets great reviews and has a very high success rate, but I don't know him personally.

People are different. What is "best" for one is rarely "best" for any one else. Some might thrive under the tutelage of instructors (and captains) who pretty much always train instructors.

In a resort setting (Disclaimer: I have a bias here from working in resorts) with a productive dive centre, you may find that the experience you get in a 6-8 week training program far supersedes what you may receive in a dive center Stateside that has limited course scheduling. So part of your decision making should look into the training environment, as well as diving environment, you'll be conducting your course in. If you're assisting on student classes on a daily basis, with a multitude of classes at various levels, in a resort setting then you often achieve as much experience over 2 months as you would 6 months in many other centers.

If you're planning to work in cold water environments after the IDC/IE than probably taking your Divemaster course in that environment will be of greater benefit than the actual Instructor course. If you're planning to work more in the tropics, than you'll also find there's a trade off from the skills you gain from training in cold water, by taking your DM in the right resort destination, that allows you to get experience working with students from different backgrounds, countries and cultures, which develops many interpersonal skills as an Instructor. I always enjoyed teaching classes where I had several students from different countries and cultures and sometimes no one spoke English as a 1st language, and found it developed my teaching skills and various styles of teaching.

Two points of view, no right or wrong answers on this debate. I appreciate and understand both sides, so don't really care to debate the merits, but here's my take:

You'll get one side that will say find a local dive shop that offers IDCs and MOST IMPORTANTLY stay local to your environment. Learn from the experts in your area how they want you to teach or lead dives because they're the ones you need to network with to be successful. If you come back with a fancy new OWSI cert from your trip to Thailand there's a very real possibility the local dive centers will either resent you or distrust the quality of your certification and suggest you go find a job in Phuket in the environment you trained. Another up-side is you don't need to learn another language to get a job with the dive center where you train, if you don't know languages you're probably not finding work abroad.

The other side can offer a more glamorous adventure and usually for less tuition than US-based dive centers. If you take the savings and apply it to airfare, it is a financial 'push' and costs you no more. Paying for accommodations is usually cheaper per night at a destination because the dive centers have some helpful connections, and they'll include shuttle services and have access to resort buffets and restaurants. In the US you'll get no such benefit and over the course of the six long months it takes to complete your course you'll rack up hundreds in gasoline, motels, lunches and dinners, and remember the scheduling limitations? It will become an issue, but they will make light of it until the tuition is paid.

At a resort you'll complete all the same objectives, they'll just condense it into a couple of weeks of long days. The benefit is you don't have to worry about the schedule, it's getting done in an efficient and well practiced manner or it'll cost them huge dinero. They sometimes offer between four and eight IDCs per year are very well connected with the examiners with whom they know by name. The resort operations have daily boats on site within a short ride to the reefs and wrecks, usually offer better visibility and animal life, and have a predictable diving schedule. You'd have daily access to confined water for demonstration practice, a unique vacation environment, and often be allowed to visit a beautiful resort every day.

When I did my IDC I stayed at a vacation destination for five weeks, made over thirty dives, and paid less for the overall fixed budget than if I'd stayed in California... so the options are there. Now you just have to figure out what is important to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom