Recommendations por favor on equip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diffenc

New
Reaction score
Here's the situation - I just received my divemaster certification, and starting towards my assistant instructor cert. So far, I've been able to borrow equipment. I'm located in Oklahoma, so all of my dives (so far) are fresh water lakes. This also means I have no local dive shops. The closest shops are an hour away and have very limited selection.

Here's what I'm considering:

Fins - I've been using borrowed fins for 2 years, time to stop leeching. Looking at the Aeris Velocity ($55 is easy to swallow) or ScubaPro Twin Speeds and possibly the Twin Jets. Also looked at the Quattro and Space Frog. Recommendations?

BCD - I want a BCD with weight integration, and would prefer to stay with Mares, Cressi, or ScubaPro since they would be the easiest to get serviced (or replaced) in the nearest city. Anyone tried the Cressi BCDs?

Also need a solid set of instruments. Thinking of sticking to ScubaPro reg and octopus.

I know it's not anyones recommendation to buy without trying, but there is simply not much opportunity to try. I will probably end up getting everything from LeisurePro or DiveInn. (I'm also on a bit of a budget, but isn't everyone these days?)

Thanks in advance!

You're a DM, working on AI and you don't own any dive equipment :confused:

And you don't even know what fins to buy :confused: :confused:

Be nice...be nice...if you can't say anything nic

:whoa:

diffenc once bubbled...

[snip]

Here's what I'm considering:

[snip]

Fins

[snip]

BCD

[snip]

Also need a solid set of instruments. Thinking of sticking to ScubaPro reg and octopus.
I would suggest that you start by reading through the posts in the following forums under "Scuba Equipment" on this board:

Buoyancy Compensators (BC's)
Fins
Regulators

This will expose you to a lot of opinions on the different brands and styles of equipment that are out there. My only piece of advice would be to buy the highest quality gear you can afford, try not to let price be too much of a determining factor. If you buy on the cheap, you'll just end up buying that piece of gear twice when you replace it in a year (or less!) with something better.

Also, speaking from personal experience I wish I had found out about this board before I took my first OW class. I probably would not have bought the fins I bought if I had read through the "fins" forum first.

Good luck!

Jimmie

where is the hook?

You never see the one that gets you

I am fortunate enough to have quite a few friends who have plenty of extra equipment, plus access to some more equipment that is available to those who help with instruction. I only get to dive about three times a year, so I hadn't decided to drop the dough until now. I've put off buying too long, and yes, I have read through the discussion boards on equipment - and everyone likes their own thing and says to try before you buy. I've narrowed my selections - now seeking some last ditch advice!

The fins recommendation based on conflicting recommendations from some friends and reading I have done. I have tried the Twin Jets, but not the others, though I have seen good reviews on all.

The BCDs are another story. Everyone I know either has an ancient setup or a top-dollar rig that's out of my range.

I have pretty much decided on my reg set and instruments, though I didn't want to overlook anything.

I really wanted to see if anyone had directly compared some of these models...

Thanks!

BTW - I did have a set of old fins given to me, but I thought I would pass along the generosity and give them to an OW student last fall... It was nice to go all the way to DM without a huge investment.

Actually, I was puzzled about this sort of thing.

I've applied for the Divemaster course with a well-known operation and in the tuition cost, full equipment hire is included. I asked about a rebate as I will be using my own equipment and they refused saying rental/hire is normal procedure as hardly any of their students use their own equipment (!!??!)

I thought this to be unusual.

In my case, we weren't required to use the house equipment, but it was available. I actually wouldn't have continued diving and taking cert. courses if I would have had to invest a lot of money when I started.

After my OW course, I was hit up to continue taking courses (for little or no cost) to work up to AI level for the purpose of helping with instruction and with general stuff on dive trips.

So, I got to dive quite a bit, and take a lot of class, without the investment. Now, I have a little money available to spend, so thought I'd start making investments on some high quality gear.

Since all the local (local being within 1.5 hour drive) dive shops basically special order BCDs and other high end equipment, I'm going to buy online except for the regs.

Back
Top Bottom