Recommended Dive Magazines ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a variety of different reasons, I read Alert Diver, Diver, Scuba Diving, Sport Diver, and Undercurrent. I get Alert Diver as part of my membership in DAN. As a subscriber to Undercurrent, I have access to all of their reviews, and post my own.

On the other hand, I am only interested in the Top Five or Ten, if you could point them out ... :wink:
I only occassionally read 2 - Alert Diver (mostly for the pictures) and Sport Diver at my buddy's house. Occasionally I pickup a Dive Training but not for a couple years.

I get all my info online - many of the popular dive destinations have pretty substantial dive portals that list anything I need to know about the area prior to visiting. CITA does a great job of this for the Cayman Islands with Dive365.com among other related sites like IdiveCayman.com which shares some content. Bonaire does also with Infobonaire.com and their other portal which I can't recall the name of now.

I canceled my subscription to Scuba Diving a few years ago. I'm most interested in reading about dive travel destinations and gear, and I can get more detailed, less biased information from Scubaboard. The magazines are mostly ads, anyway. I do enjoy the DAN magazine, Alert Diver, . I subscribe to Undercurrent to get unbiased reviews of destinations, but I have never really thought of it as a magazine--more like a newsletter. Really, there's no magazine that can match the information available from online forums, blogs, etc.

I get all I need right here.....what's a Dodo?

:wink:

I canceled my subscription to Scuba Diving a few years ago. I'm most interested in reading about dive travel destinations and gear, and I can get more detailed, less biased information from Scubaboard. The magazines are mostly ads, anyway. I do enjoy the DAN magazine, Alert Diver, . I subscribe to Undercurrent to get unbiased reviews of destinations, but I have never really thought of it as a magazine--more like a newsletter. Really, there's no magazine that can match the information available from online forums, blogs, etc.

I have thought about subscribing to Undercurrent. How long have you been subscribing to it? Do you like it? Would you recommend it to someone else?

Adam

I have thought about subscribing to Undercurrent. How long have you been subscribing to it? Do you like it? Would you recommend it to someone else?

Adam

I've been a subscriber about 10 years and intend to continue. It's one of the few sources of unbiased reviews of dive resorts/liveaboards on the Internet. If we don't want advertisements and the bias that comes with that, a subscription-based service like Undercurrent is the answer. So yes, I recommend it. That said, there's no information in Undercurrent that one couldn't dig up on SB, especially by simply starting to new thread to ask about XYZ dive resort/liveaboard. However, I have found that Undercurrent's handy listing of the popular resorts and liveaboards in the area I'm interested in provides a good starting point for asking questions here on SB. In other words, there's overlap, but Undercurrent is handy.

Adam
Personally, I have been a subscriber to Undercurrent for about 15 years. I echo what @Lorenzoid said above. Many of the primary reviews in Undercurrent have given me ideas for new sites to visit. The compilation of member reviews is extremely valuable. As an example, there are 410 reviews of Bonaire since 2002, 88 in the last 3 years. Consulting Undercurrent is always one of the things I do when researching a trip.

There was a very positive review of Turquoise Bay Resort and Subway Watersports last Fall in Undercurrent. Based on that, and other research, my wife and I visited this summer and the trip lived up to expectations, Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017. The more information you have, the better decision you can make

Lorenzoid and scubadada....

Both good recommendations. Thank you.

Adam

Another vote for Alert Diver and Undercurrent.

Every time I pick up an issue of "Scuba Diving" I feel like I am reading an advertisement for jacket BCD's, split fins and octo inflators.

I liked the British magazine I've read while on liveaboard in Maldives but I do not remember the name. Dive Training can be entertaining at times but Scuba and Sport Diver are borderline boring.
The Brit magazine DIVER is quite good.

Back
Top Bottom