Recommended dives for newbie in southern UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I will be in the southern UK in July. Are there any recommended dives in the area for someone who is brand-new to scuba? Are there any recommended places for gear rental? Will I need a drysuit?

Thank,

M

hello.what part of the south are you going too,(kent ,cornwall?)this makes a big diffrence in gear to be used, A good full wet suit or dry suit ,your be lucky to get 10'c at depth
(some phone numbers+ web sites)(01273606068 e.mail:info@brightondivecentre.co.uk),(blue ocean diving maidstone kent 01622212022:www.blueoceandiving.co.uk)/(inland dive site 7m,about 20ft leybourne lake :Leybourne Lake Dive Centre & Scuba Solutions :: Sharing Our Passion For The Undersea World, Scuba Diving Courses) i have more info if needed on dive centres in the south

As phantomrfa said, the Southern Uk is quite large, could you narrow it down a bit?

Hello,

yes - an excellent point. I will be near Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,

M

MY geography is hopeless, but there are a number of operators in PLymouth who do novice sites and training if required. Not sure how new you are, but the james egan lane and the newer scylla are shallow and easy in about 22m.
I would tend to stay away from any inland sites, but to be fair I've only ever done 2 fesh water dives - they tend to be crowded and murky - and the whole point is to see fishies and wrecks which are more commonly found in the sea.

From Salisbury I'd head for Weymouth, Portland or Swanage

I've used all 3 places one way or another, but have never hired kit. Drysuit is useful depending on the time of year and depth. Currently it is about 10 or 11 degrees Centigrade, but can get to 18 or 19 at the end of summer - if we have one.

Adrian

Thanks to all those who replied to the post.

I have since found a UK-specific BSAC Travel Club web page at BSAC TRAVEL CLUB - UK which is very helpful.

-M

You're better off asking on the BSAC forum rather than the travel club thing.

As others have said the UK is a big place and makes a big difference. Also, do you have a buddy, are you looking to dive inland or sea and so on.

I'd highly recommend a drysuit but i guess a 7mm+7mm maybe tolerable for 1 short dive that time of year.

Try and get yourself to Cornwall. A little further to travel but far better than the South Coast.

In some shops you may have trouble renting a dry suit if you don't have a dry suit speciality course :p

Back
Top Bottom