Recompression Chamber Under The Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You essentially asked one important question... the answer is it is extremely risky.

There are several factors that inform my answer... not the least of which, but perhaps the simplest to convey is: "Why on earth leave the relative security of the surface to undergo an ad-hoc procedure the parameters of which you know almost nothing about?"

If you want to learn more about decompression theory and the protocols for in-water recompression, I suggest a little deeper research than a posting of ScubaBoard.

I know this supposed to be a friendly (ask anything you like) forum but what a complete "Scuba Snob". It was a simple question, and you not only insult me, but the other members of this forum. I can't think of a better group of people to ask, than the scuba divers here. Obviously, you think they're incompetent to answer questions... but you are.

I would ask you more questions about your reply concerning a second ascent and CNS toxicity, but it's obvious by your arrogant response, you have your head buried up your own... well, you know where. Don't reply to any more of my post, as your type of help is not needed.

I think perhaps you mistook Steve's intent ... I've never known him to be arrogant in the least. I thought he provided a pretty cogent answer to your question ... which is why I "Liked" it.

Decompression isn't a simple subject ... there are a lot of variables that go into it, and even the "experts" don't really have much more than theories to go on. Perhaps the best resource for the recreational diver who wants to know more is Mark Powell's book "Deco for Divers". Ironically ... Steve's blog and postings is probably a close second.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the direction and explanation. I feel like I have a better (although not complete) understanding now. Looks like I'll have to do some more research. The book "Deco For Divers" sounds like a good place to continue for in-depth research. Now I understand that there are physiological changes in the body, and just descending back to depth, doesn't fix them.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I would ask you more questions about your reply concerning a second ascent and CNS toxicity, but it's obvious by your arrogant response, you have your head buried up your own... well, you know where. Don't reply to any more of my post, as your type of help is not needed.

I think Doppler might have been revising his post to address your question better around the same time you were posting this response.

Don't be so quick to dismiss his help - it can be a bit tricky reading "tone" here on the internet at times and things don't always come across as intended. I can assure you he is one person that you WANT to listen to regarding this type of stuff.

I think perhaps you mistook Steve's intent ... I've never known him to be arrogant in the least. I thought he provided a pretty cogent answer to your question ... which is why I "Liked" it.

Decompression isn't a simple subject ... there are a lot of variables that go into it, and even the "experts" don't really have much more than theories to go on. Perhaps the best resource for the recreational diver who wants to know more is Mark Powell's book "Deco for Divers". Ironically ... Steve's blog and postings is probably a close second.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob... appreciate your support and your willingness to help others. I believe you have a pretty solid handle on my intent when compelled to come up with quick and succinct answers to potentially problematic open-forum public questions... don't you simply hate the fact that ten years down the road, some drop-arsed expert witness might cite a careless posting on a dive forum and hang you with it.

Take care buddy.

To the OP,
On the internet we are equal but some people are more equal than others - Doppler is one of those who is more equal than others. Please don't be offended by what I just said - one of the hardest things in scuba is getting good sources of information from those who know a thing or two.

I'd put Bob and Doppler in that category - the rest of us you can ignore :)

Without the proper equipment (full face mask), o2, training, knowledgable dive buddy and understanding of in water recompressions I would not get back in the water! O2 at he surface is the better option. Only in extreme cases and in remote locations should inwater recompression be attempted.

Playing with fire with 3rd degree skin burns falls in the same category. Not very clever.

With no symptoms of DCI, there is no need to re-descend to conduct in-water recompression.
The OP seems to imply that an unfulfilled deco obligation or too-fast ascent will result in clinical DCI 100% of the time. That's simply not the case.

If the hypothetical scenarios were changed to include onset of potential DCI-related symptoms during the surface interval...

Given a diver who exceeded NDLs (unintentionally?) and didn't have enough gas to complete the deco stop (lack of gas management skills or awareness of remaining gas supply?), I could not in good conscience recommend that, once symptomatic at the surface, he re-descend to conduct in-water recompression. That's just silly. Doppler and others have already listed a few reasons (equipment, training) why you shouldn't do that. I'll give you another: the diver lacks enough discipline/skill to conduct in-water recompression safely.

Given a diver who exceeded the recommended ascent rate (due to lack of awareness or poor buoyancy control), re-descending to conduct in-water recompression presents another opportunity to conduct a dive where the ascent rate is exceeded. What makes the diver think that he'll be able to do any better on Dive #2?

In both hypothetical scenarios, once possible DCI symptoms occur at the surface, the diver should remain at the surface, obtain medical treatment (breathe O2), and get to an ER with a hyperbaric chamber as quickly as possible. Remaining in the water to conduct recompression is just going to increase the delay between symptom onset and getting professional medical treatment. In-water recompression should only be attempted by dive ops/divers who are trained properly, have the necessary equipment, and are sufficiently far from a medical treatment facility/hyperbaric chamber.

I know this supposed to be a friendly (ask anything you like) forum but what a complete "Scuba Snob". It was a simple question, and you not only insult me, but the other members of this forum. I can't think of a better group of people to ask, than the scuba divers here. Obviously, you think they're incompetent to answer questions... but you are.

I think this was a little bit on the rude side. Doppler's post didn't seem to me to be either insulting or arrogant. It's easy to perceive terseness and abruptness even when it really isn't there when someone is trying to be concise and simplify high complicated subjects. And in my opinion, his answer was a good one, which is important in a subject like this one.

Back
Top Bottom