Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, but is this because you are flying via Dubai, so in essence it’s about the Dubai bit mainly...I know my friends in Dubai have said they are extra strict about everything...very good to know though, especially flying to Asia via Dubai...if you have a liveaboard booked and your flight is the day it docks, you will likely be up the creek....

Yes. It is because I am flying through Dubai.

Wanted to warn everyone to check return flights for any layover restrictions for their flights, too. It didn't even occur to me that it would be a problem.

Oh S....!
I could not believe it but the homepage really reads:
If you are flying with Emirates from the countries or airports specified below, you must carry a negative PCR certificate issued by a local government approved laboratory to be accepted on the flight.
Here my thoughts:
Transit through Dubai Airport is not affected by entry rules - you are not entering UAE, you are just transiting.
What may be a silver lining is the guess that they may only refer to flights ending in the UAE.
Have you contacted Emirated directly and asked about your specific situation on the return leg?

EDIT: The statement quoted above from the travel update is the same content than the one here for Tourist travelling to Dubai which refers IMHO only to tourist with destination Dubai and not transit.
So, if not done: you should really contact Emirates directly and ask on your situation.

Yes. It is because I am flying through Dubai.

Wanted to warn everyone to check return flights for any layover restrictions for their flights, too. It didn't even occur to me that it would be a problem.
Nor I... you have likely saved someone from an impending crisis!

Oh S....!
I could not believe it but the homepage really reads:
If you are flying with Emirates from the countries or airports specified below, you must carry a negative PCR certificate issued by a local government approved laboratory to be accepted on the flight.
Here my thoughts:
Transit through Dubai Airport is not affected by entry rules - you are not entering UAE, you are just transiting.
What may be a silver lining is the guess that they may only refer to flights ending in the UAE.
Have you contacted Emirated directly and asked about your specific situation on the return leg?

EDIT: The statement quoted above from the travel update is the same content than the one here for Tourist travelling to Dubai which refers IMHO only to tourist with destination Dubai and not transit.
So, if not done: you should really contact Emirates directly and ask on your situation.

I've spoken to them twice. Same response both times. Doesn't matter that I'm transitting. I still need to get the test.

Ah, but is this because you are flying via Dubai, so in essence it’s about the Dubai bit mainly...I know my friends in Dubai have said they are extra strict about everything...very good to know though, especially flying to Asia via Dubai...if you have a liveaboard booked and your flight is the day it docks, you will likely be up the creek....

That's my situation. I fly the day it docks. I am up the creek.

It is nearly impossible for me to describe how bad my day has been.

The 15th is looking well booked now.... at least you may have one problem solved :)

Where are you seeing that? It still looks like I'm the only reservation on the Discovery Divers site.

I don't know what to do now. In order to get the damn test I need to extend my trip and spend time in Cairo, which I did not want to do. And, to add to the newfound indecision, my mother called and asked me not to go this morning. She wants me to wait until spring.

It's due to leave from Port Ghalib (Marsa Alam), but I'm flying in and out of Hurghada.

It's the trip that leaves on August 15th Daedalus, Rocky, Zabargad (Port Ghalib-Port Ghalib) -7 nights. (I will have already completed the trip the previous week the Rocky/Zabargad/St. John's) : MY Samira | Liveaboard | PADI Travel

I would listen to any solution you present. :)
Where are you seeing that? It still looks like I'm the only reservation on the Discovery Divers site.

I don't know what to do now. In order to get the damn test I need to extend my trip and spend time in Cairo, which I did not want to do. And, to add to the newfound indecision, my mother called and asked me not to go this morning. She wants me to wait until spring.

On the boat’s website.

Very sorry to hear that...:(
Is it possible for you to postpone and re-book? time and money-wise? as it is always good to listen to mom...:cool: and perhaps the situation will have improved until spring.
Otherwise the option with Cairo for a few days may not be that bad if you can familiarise with it.

I read somewhere that Emirates is enforcing thast policy because there had a flights where 20 (?) people where positive at their arival in Hong Kong.

Very sorry to hear that...:(
Is it possible for you to postpone and re-book? time and money-wise? as it is always good to listen to mom...:cool: and perhaps the situation will have improved until spring.
Otherwise the option with Cairo for a few days may not be that bad if you can familiarise with it.

I read somewhere that Emirates is enforcing thast policy because there had a flights where 20 (?) people where positive at their arival in Hong Kong.

I just sent an email to PADI Travel telling them that I would like to rebook at a later date. I feel sick.

Back
Top Bottom