Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I always read it is that the test has to be no older then 72 hours from the moment of sampling, not 72 hours from the moment they issued the certificate. So it's 72 hours in total not 72+48 or whatever.

This is part of what I was asking. If they can accept an electronic test, I could test and fly while waiting for the results. If they want a printed certificate, I could do the same and have a valid printed certificate they'd be happy to accept, but it would be in New York while I am in Cairo.

At this point (IMO at least) the only valid option for people coming from USA, Canada and so on is the quick test (5h) on the Istanbul airports (which also happens to be quite cheap). HOWEVER if that comes up positive you'll be losing the $ for the overseas flights..
Pegasus has a link about the testing center at the Sabiha Gokcen airport PCR testing is now available at Sabiha Gökçen Airport There is another testing center at the bigger Istanbul Airport, but I don't have a link.

So it's 72 hours in total not 72+48 or whatever.
Agreed, Test has to be done 72 hours before the entry into Egypt.
I also thought of the possibility to travel while waiting for the result or having a test done when waiting for your connection (i thought of Frankfurt) but at the end, it don't sound like a good idea: If it is (false) positive you will get into somewhere away from home or at arrival in Egypt (or in Istanbul, where i don't want to show up being positive...)
Similar point: i don't think someone would be brave enough to have it's entry into Egypt Test done in Cairo and running the risk to get quarantined there...

At this point (IMO at least) the only valid option for people coming from USA, Canada and so on is the quick test (5h) on the Istanbul airports (which also happens to be quite cheap). HOWEVER if that comes up positive you'll be losing the $ for the overseas flights..
Pegasus has a link about the testing center at the Sabiha Gokcen airport PCR testing is now available at Sabiha Gökçen Airport There is another testing center at the bigger Istanbul Airport, but I don't have a link.

I’m flying direct from Toronto, so I can just get one from the hospital here.
Results are 24-48 hours at the moment.

in the end this is all somewhat conjecture until we have live examples of ‘i did my test 74 hours before landing in Cairo and they sent me back’ etc....

in the end this is all somewhat conjecture until we have live examples of ‘i did my test 74 hours before landing in Cairo and they sent me back’ etc....

Honestly I doubt anyone would risk it. At the end of the day it's something that can be planned correctly. The major risk is to be handed a false positive and lose a lot of money or (best case scenario) have your plans sent to the garbage bin by some employee who messed up the test.

Honestly I doubt anyone would risk it. At the end of the day it's something that can be planned correctly. The major risk is to be handed a false positive and lose a lot of money or (best case scenario) have your plans sent to the garbage bin by some employee who messed up the test.

or plan for test results to arrive in the value window and something screws up and you either guy them too early or too late.. it’s a bit ‘landing on an aircraft carrier’ with the results window...to early or late and it’s a disaster.

Absent a vaccine, and with very few options available for travel insurance, it seems kind of inconsequential - IMHO - whether you can get a piece of paper that says you have been tested...particularly when testing in other countries may be less than reliable.

So that's why you are getting your test at home before starting your journey: perhaps more reliable test but in any case more convenient quarantine situation and hopefully a better medical care than if on your own in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom