• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by Sunn, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Ministryofgiraffes

Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    [QUOTE="JustSurfaceInterval, post: 9135016, member: ] y
    Answer from "Destination Expert for Egypt":
    if you want to potentially breath corona virus pressurised to 200bar+, at a depth of maybe 30 metres, then by all means be my guest.
    Me:
    ...explaining that would mean approx. 240 kg extra luggage and other details...​
    Answer from "Destination Expert for Egypt":
    That's what I'm saying, at this point in time I won't be scuba diving anywhere.
    True story....
    I still hope he fooled me, but.......[/QUOTE]

did the destination expert look/sound like ‘cliff’ from cheers?

2. P-Dog

P-Dog Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I just burst into tears. Seriously? The only boat?

While I'm totally happy for you, I'm dying inside that all of my jockeying to get there failed.

3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

He thought that the virus is so virulent that it would be in the air in the cylinders?

4. JustSurfaceInterval

JustSurfaceInterval ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Yes.
    It started as a pandemic, and now it is an intelligence test. And some are not doing well.... :facepalm:

P-Dog, Adr1an and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. Adr1an

Adr1an Photographer

Just raise the Belarus subject with the COVID fanatics and you're in for a lot of fun. I mean seriously, if a relatively poor ex-Soviet country takes no measure whatsoever (no quarantine, football/soccer allowed to carry on with packed stadiums in March-May) an then you see there packed public squares during protests over dodgy elections in late August, I suppose any sane person has all the data needed to figure out that COVID isn't exactly the next plague...

6. chillyinCanada

It's not over yet and winter is coming.

Screenshot_20200915-005210_Samsung Internet.jpg

7. Adr1an

Adr1an Photographer

Obviously the virus exists and represents a threat to certain age groups but the point is that a poor country where absolutely no precautions were taken is doing quite well, up to the point where the average Joe and Jane are joining mass demonstrations where no social distancing is possible.

What bothers me is the mass hysteria that was induced intentionally using the traditional media and the social media, in order to push excessive restrictive measures that are far more dangerous then the virus itself on the long run. No sane person will deny that the virus exists and represents a threat to old people or to those who already suffer from other illnesses...

P.S. We are talking here about a country of 10 millions not about Vatican City or San Marino.

TridentDeep likes this.
  8. JustSurfaceInterval

JustSurfaceInterval ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Guys, may i ask to refrain from discussions about existence, threat of that virus and how to interpreted figures in dieffrent countries? or use another thread for that.
    Please. Thanks.

9. Adr1an

Adr1an Photographer

Sure, no problem. It kinda glided towards it starting from the "advice" you received on TA :D

As things are now, our hobby (and for some members their jobs) risk to be driven into the ground. I wouldn't have discussed it on this particular topic if I didn't had recent first hand experience of the impact on the dive centers in Sharm.

JustSurfaceInterval likes this.
  10. chillyinCanada

My apologies.

JustSurfaceInterval likes this.