Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a get you back to the boat number for a "normal" SAC rate. Meaning 500 PSI at 50ft would get you back to the boat with a 3-5 saftey stop. That said you wouldn't hav ethe standard recreation reserve of 500 psi when you hit the boat...

Not sure what you're referring to, but 2 experienced divers, sharing a tank, can expect to use about 400psi at 15fsw and the following ascent, and that's IF there's 500 psi in the tank. Once tank pressure falls below 500psi, spg's are horribly inaccurate.

That is cutting it way too close for my comfort.

Honestly, I think GUE has their act together with this sort of thing, and I'm planning to take the gue-f course after my intro class. I'd love to see GUE offer a OW course, if nothing else to see what the other agencies would adopt from it.
My advice would be to take it before your intro class if you have that option...

Most people I've talked to who went the route you describe lament not taking GUE-F first.

My advice would be to take it before your intro class if you have that option...

Most people I've talked to who went the route you describe lament not taking GUE-F first.
That option is gone, as my intro class is in 2 weeks.

I am taking my intro with the same instructor JJ took his full cave with, if that counts for anything. :D

That option is gone, as my intro class is in 2 weeks.

I am taking my intro with the same instructor JJ took his full cave with, if that counts for anything. :D

Ah but it isn't -- Doug Mudry is teaching a GUE-F class on May 10/11 and will be completed on May 31-June 1. So at least you'd get the first two days before your cave class...

Honestly, I think AOW would be a great class with some of the topics that are already available for the class . . . I think a buoyancy unit should be mandatory, and a deep diving unit (with the proviso that the student has to demonstrate safe skills for diving deeper than 60 feet), and a navigation unit. A night dive is a reasonable one, but you can also take a wreck dive or a photo dive and make it meaningful.

The big problem with the class is not that the topics are too silly, but that there's no meat to them as they are taught. A buoyancy unit, where you help correct weight and weight distribution, and work on hovering, and descending and ascending the way BDub describes, and executing emergency procedures like mask clearing or air-sharing while maintaining buoyancy, can take several dives even to make significant progress on. (Took me six months after Fundies to reach passing standards!) My PPB dive for AOW consisted of the instructor taking weight off me, putting it back on, taking my light away from me and giving it back. I didn't learn much, and I still was out of trim and did my descents on my back.

Navigation can be taught by more than a compass; depending on available sites, a course can be planned using a map or a sonar scan or a dive briefing, and people can be asked to execute it and perhaps describe landmarks or retrieve markers. Making use of natural navigation, suggestions for correcting for current, what to do when you're good and lost . . . There is a lot of stuff you can include, but you can't really do it in one dive.

Similarly, deep diving could include some discussion of dissolved gas versus bubble models and what they practically mean for ascent profiles, as well as gas management and the concept of safe reserves. Deep dives should include an air-sharing ascent as well as holding stops. Deep dives are a perfect place to practice the skills the buoyancy unit introduced. Again, how can you do it in one dive?

Bob's AOW class is a wonderful thing. It's got teeth, and the diver who takes it comes away with a great deal more information and some solid, useful skills. But I've known Bob to take a month to get a group of students through the class, what with repeating dives until they meet standards, or sending people away to do a little practice before going to the next unit. It's not a five dive wonder, that class.

Ah but it isn't -- Doug Mudry is teaching a GUE-F class on May 10/11 and will be completed on May 31-June 1. So at least you'd get the first two days before your cave class...
May 9/10/11 8am-8pm each day are the dates/times of my intro class, guess it's technically 3 weeks away, GRRRRR. :(

I'm thinking I'll take the GUE-f course in the fall, or over xmas break, to see if I want to go the GUE route for my mixed gas courses.

For cave, I think I'll finish with Rich Courtney or Jim Wyatt for the full cave and specialties.

... and were younger.

L.A. Scuba

I was originally trained LA County and NAUI in 1967. PADI in 2005 since I hadn't been diving since about 1968. Have done PADI Advanced and will be starting Rescue this week. At 61 I don't think I am up physically to the LA County Advanced but if I had the money and availble time (it takes a tremendous committment) I would try.

Mike

...as usual, Lynne comes in and puts everyone else's posts to shame. :wink:

It is a get you back to the boat number for a "normal" SAC rate. Meaning 500 PSI at 50ft would get you back to the boat with a 3-5 saftey stop. That said you wouldn't hav ethe standard recreation reserve of 500 psi when you hit the boat...

Sorry, misread this (missed the 50ft part)....

2 experienced divers can expect to use approx 750 - 800psi, sharing a single tank from 50fsw, with a 3 minute stop at 15fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom