Redneck illumination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a compact digital point & shoot (Canon SD500). It takes OK pics, but naturally the flash is weak. I can't afford or justify an external strobe, and have been toying with the idea of mounting a dive light to my housing. I know very little about u/w photography, so a lot of tech data/info is going to float right over my head. I guess my first question is if shining a diffused dive light on a subject will bring any more color to the photo. I've never had a light, so I haven't been able to try this. Don't get to dive much, but we're going to Bonaire in March and I'd like to know what you guys think. I have the stuff laying around my shop to build a tray with one or two adjustable arms. At this point, I'm thinking of mounting a Miniwave or one of the 40 LED lights you see on e-bay all the time. Or two, if needed. I realize this is a redneck setup, but will it work?

After more research, I would probably either use one Miniwave LED, or two of the Suprema/Fantasea 40 LED lights. If I used the Miniwave, a diffuser might be helpful to get a bigger footprint, but I don't think one is available for it. Anybody have luck making one? If I bought a Miniwave, I'd have a primary light. The Fantasea 40 is supposed to qualify as a primary, but I dunno... The Mini has a low setting, which would be nice; I could turn one of the 40's off, but that would leave 1/2 the coverage area. It's about the same money either way. I'm rambling here, I know... just kinda waiting for some feedback.

you get what you pay for..............are you a picture taker, or a photographer..........your led lights "will work" but as you mention you've never even dove with a dive light (is that right?) then I'd definately buy a light first and see what it'll do and it will open your eyes to the colors down underwater.

Spring for a good dive light first. Ikelite or UK is a good start.

You can go cheap now, or step up to the plate and buy good now and not waste your money in the long run with equipment gathering dust in your shop.........been there went cheap on that.

Thanks, RockyHeap. I'm just a picture taker that want's a little more color. You are correct, I've never dove with a light, so I'm gonna buy one. The purpose of this thread is to determine if it'll add more natural color to my "picturetaker" photos if I mount it to my housing. I think I have everything on hand to do it with, so it wouldn't cost anything but time, but if it won't help much there's no sense in making a bulky contraption out of a compact camera.

So first step, BUY A DIVE LIGHT!

Make it a LED for a whiter spectrum of light for your photos, and they're nice and a wider diffusion of light, but don't penetrate as far as some incandescants. Don't mount it to your camera, you want off angle lighting for photos anyways so just free hand it in your other hand.

If you want to buy a dive light for life, I highly recommend the UK light cannon. GREAT for low viz conditions and can penetrate far into caves or underhangs.

To answer your original question: Yes, a dive light will add more color underwater. Take red, for example. As I'm sure you already know, the reason why you can't see any of that colorful red of that sponge at 60 feet is that the sponge reflects mostly light of red wavelengths. The sun shining down into the water sends light of all wavelengths into the water. However, the water column filters out the red wavelengths within the first few feet, so by the time the sunlight reaches the sponge at 60 feet, there is no light of the correct (red) wavelength left for the sponge to reflect. That's why it appears drab and blueish, because these are the only wavelengths left for the sponge to reflect back to your eye. Knowing that, you see that bringing any light source down to depth will restore some color, because when you shine a light of any sort onto the sponge at short distance, you give its surface something to reflect in its natural colors. So much for the principle. Now, the question is of course HOW MUCH light you give the sponge and whether that's enough for you to decide whether it makes enough of a difference to the picture you want to take. I'd say try it and see if you like it.

Thanx, guys. I was originally looking at the UK Cannon, but the cost of the light & life/cost of the bulb scared me away. Think I'll buy a Shockwave or Miniwave LED. Probably a Mini; they both have the same output, just a difference in burn time. Since the Mini will last several dives anyway, I think I'd rather trade the compact size for changing batteries more often. Am I missing some other benefit to the 8 cell?

Speaking of "getting what you pay for"... Intova makes a cheap slave flash designed for point & shoot, the Pixtreme PX21. B&H has them for $125
Pixtreme | External Flash Kit PX21 | PX21FLASHSET | B&H Photo
Is anyone using one of these? If it's not much of an improvement, I won't waste the money.

one other thing to consider with strobes and flash photography, is when you think you're "Close enough" to the subject, get twice as close..........thats where a wide angle lens really helps too.

I've had my UK light cannon for 3 years, numerous dive trips/drops/rough handling, and I love the rechargeable battery. You can get them on sale for 199, with the battery pack being another 100. Light for life, or buy several 50-100 dollar dive lights and then still buy the light cannon in the end...........all depends on if you're diving in 100-200 foot viz all the time, or in 20 foot cloudy viz where the light cannon and its HID bright white light "shines".......I know the dollars hurt to spend, but you'll be happier in the long run.

Hi RockyHeap,

you recommend LED for a dive light. Just make a simple test: At night time, take a ripe tomato, a LED-torch and a Halogen-bulb torch. Shine them at the tomato. Now which one would you prefer for underwater (where you want the red colours to appear again)?

Regards,

Joerg

Back
Top Bottom