Redondo sixgills ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. Was at Barkley Sound at the beginning of the year before six gill season, but still well worth the trip. Heading over to Port Hardy soon. Maybe I'll see some six gills there...or one.

At least I saw some dogfish today :D. Any shark is great!
When are you heading to Port Hardy? I'll be there mid-September ... staying at the Hideaway.

I went out again last night, but only saw a dogfish. Funny thing is when I came out of the water, the parking lot was FULL ... a lot of people apparently saw my video and decided to come out looking. When they saw me, many didn't even ask if I saw one ... they just asked me where it was. Sadly, I couldn't tell them. But I'll be back this evening ... this time I'm taking TSandM with me ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Heading to Port Hardy at the end of August, just barely missing each other. I think it might be Hideaway too. Good luck finding the six gill(s) again; hopefully your camera is able to take photos next time, but your video quality is very good also.

pretty good video on the fall back plan! We're the other two divers from UW Sports?

pretty good video on the fall back plan! We're the other two divers from UW Sports?

No ... I won't identify them because they're good guys and were more than a bit embarrassed when they saw the video. I do hope they learned that when they see someone flashing an emergency signal they should investigate, though ... next time it might be something a bit more important than to look at a shark.

I just got an email that they've been sighting sixgills in Howe Sound. Six years I went between sightings ... and not hearing much of anyone else seeing them either ... and suddenly they're showing up everywhere ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Went for an early dive at Redondo this morning ... in the water around 6:30. Swam down to the trough and kicked around for 15 minutes or so below 100 fsw looking for a sixgill. Nada ... so I started to head back in. At around 100 fsw I spotted three large sunstars piling on top of each other, legs all akimbo. Wondering whether they were feeding or f-, er, reproducing ... I decided to stop and take a some pictures. The pics were absolute crap ... this incessent plankton bloom we've been experiencing lately has vis at about 10 feet even at that depth. So after a a half dozen or so attempts, I quit trying .... looked up ... and this is the first thing I saw ...

IMG_4174.jpg

It was a brief encounter ... less than a minute ... but I managed to snap off a few decent shots ...

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

And I think I learned something. If you want to see a sixgill, quit kicking. They seem to be attracted to something ... my focus light, perhaps ... when I'm not moving. Should've figured it out earlier ... you don't find them, after all ... they find you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those are amazing! I have never even seen a shark period. :(

Bob, Thanks for the great video and pix! I went looking for them at Cove 2 one night, but just got buzzed by a seal. I did my re-cert dives 4 years ago at Redondo and said I would never go back, so boring. I now rescind that remark. I only have 100hp steel for my deep or long dives, so I'd be short on time if I went looking for one with a buddy, and with that viz, it'd bump me likely before I saw it! And those divers that didn't respond to your light....sheesh. Thanks for the details, u did an excellent presentation. When do the tours start?

Bob, Thanks for the great video and pix! I went looking for them at Cove 2 one night, but just got buzzed by a seal. I did my re-cert dives 4 years ago at Redondo and said I would never go back, so boring. I now rescind that remark. I only have 100hp steel for my deep or long dives, so I'd be short on time if I went looking for one with a buddy, and with that viz, it'd bump me likely before I saw it! And those divers that didn't respond to your light....sheesh. Thanks for the details, u did an excellent presentation. When do the tours start?

I havent heard of any sixgill sightings for a few months now

Back
Top Bottom