Redondo sixgills ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, Thanks for the great video and pix! I went looking for them at Cove 2 one night, but just got buzzed by a seal. I did my re-cert dives 4 years ago at Redondo and said I would never go back, so boring. I now rescind that remark. I only have 100hp steel for my deep or long dives, so I'd be short on time if I went looking for one with a buddy, and with that viz, it'd bump me likely before I saw it! And those divers that didn't respond to your light....sheesh. Thanks for the details, u did an excellent presentation. When do the tours start?

I've never found Redondo boring, and I dive there a lot ... living only a few minutes from the dive site. In the past year, these are only a few of the things I've seen there ...

Wolfie1.jpg

Nudi1.jpg

Gunnel1.jpg

LilRed.jpg

HC2.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

Right now the gunnels are thick as fleas, making homes out of every cranny they can find, and seeking mates for the winter. The eelgrass beds are turning into nurseries for all manner of tiny juveniles ... and hooded nudibranchs can be found in clusters. Harbor seals have returned for their annual winter shelter. Tiny red octopus can be found in almost any bottle or shell that will shelter them. There are at least three juvenile wolfies in the area, as well as several large GPO's. The next few weeks will see the return of the opalescent squid for their annual mate-fest, and we'll be seeing more bay pipefish, snailfish and baby plainfin midshipmen as we move into winter. Every season has something unique and delightful to offer ... the key is going slow enough to appreciate what's there, because much of it is either very small or good at blending in with the surroundings.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm with Bob -- if you find Redondo boring, you're moving too fast . . . We recently had a club dive there where my buddy and I spent 70+ minutes in an area about 30 feet square, because we found so much cool stuff!

Bob & Lynne, I should have chosen my words more carefully! The one and only time I dove Redondo was in 2008 when I recertified and about all I saw was the VW and alot of silt. I will gladly dive it again, and this is just one more reason why I love SB! Thankyou for re-invigorating me about Redondo, even if I come over and the f/water showers aren't working!! What's underwater is what's important!!! And two informative friends like u bring the perspective back into view! Thanks !!!!!

Good lord. Please stop posting this kind of stuff. You're making me second guess my adamant position of never getting back into Puget Sound again!

Good lord. Please stop posting this kind of stuff. You're making me second guess my adamant position of never getting back into Puget Sound again!

Why abstain from Puget Sound diving?

I have found that theres really no limit to how warm you can be. You can get a good 400g thinsulate undergarment as well as a great base layer, you can get a nice warm set of gloves, an argon system, a 400g thinsulate heated vest, and a 10mm hood (or even a 12mm Otter Bay hood). You may not be able to get everything at once, and it is definitely a little spendy, but you cant put a price on being warm on long dives.

In the last couple of weeks, I've done a couple of over 70 minute dives in 52 degree water. I've been amazed at how comfortable I've stayed, but of course . . . I am diving dry, with a top end undergarment, a well-fitted hood, and the world's most wonderful socks.

This is great! Thanks for posting. I would love to come across one of these sometime at Redondo, although it's a bit strange to know they could be right by you and you'd miss them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom