redundancy equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo:
Just add all of your "imaginary" buddy's dive gear to yourself and you're all set... Extra (separate) gas with reg, extra light, extra reel, liftbag, cutting thingy, 'pooter etc...

You should skip his weight belt, and his dry suit and fins also aren't necessary, but otherwise, you can pretty much take it all... :D
Since I can't bring his brain along, I have to improvise by being extra cautious and thinking twice about what I'm going to do. :)

Another way to look at it is that you have to be sure that you can safely abort the dive if any piece of your equipment fails --- reg, tanks, BCD, etc. That may or may not mean that you need a redundant air source.

Charlie99:
Since I can't bring his brain along...
Actually, if you knew the guys I dive with when I do dive with someone, NOT having their brains is actually a good thing!

Geez, I wonder if they read this stuff...? :mooner:

In fairness, even when we dive together, we aren't together. It's one of those "same lake, same day" buddy teams. We are all diving solo, but we might be on the same wreck at the same time, or more likely staggered. (i.e. I help my buddy suit up and toss him out of the boat, leaving me more room. I time my entry so we're likely to pass on the line where we exchange "OK"s and carry on...

I travel light. I only have one redundant air via a 13 cf or 19 cf pony with stand along regulator and use at least 2 or 3 cutting tools depending on area. Do not do deep dives while solo or hazardous dives.

I don't do much any different than I would for a buddy dive except possibly ditch the octapus. I don't much get into redundancy either. Down to 60 feet or so I just put on a tank and my favorite double hose and go. For deeper solo dives are those that are in demanding conditions then I will occasionaly use a slung pony or doubles or even independent doubles and often use dual regulators, a Royal Aqua Master backed up by a Voit MR12, both known to be very reliable. Double hose regulators are so much more reliable than todays plastic stuff I don't at all feel odd alone in the water with just my Royal Aqua Master, it does just fine by itself. N

JimLap, when you say this:

"Leave the spare air in the store."

Are you referring to the product, Spare Air? Curious to know if you or others have had difficulties with it (I have one, but have never had to deploy it for any type of emergency).

Thanks,
Oz

Yes the product spare air. For what you pay for one of those things you can set up a 19 cu ft pony with a real reg and regular spg or even button spg and have enough gas, for me anyway, to do a safe ascent from 100 ft including 3 minute safety stop. The spare air might be ok if you don't plan on going deeper than 30 ft and can blow off your safety stop. I never omit a stop. Yeah it's small and easy to carry but why? Have I ever had one? No. Would I use and trust one with my life in the types of conditions I dive and to the depths I do even solo? No, no, no. What it is is a can of air good for maybe 3 or 4 breaths at 60 ft. If I've been down any amt of time and need to abort due to a loss of gas I want enough air to get me up without omitting a stop and possibily taking a hit. Also you say you have never deployed it in an emergency, how many times have you used it in practice? If you've not how do you know it will work for you? To carry gear, any gear, and not be intimately familiar with it's use and capabilities is worse than not carrying it at all. Do you know you can safely ascend with it from 33 ft or are you willing to "trust" it. Exactly how many breaths can you get from it at 20ft, 30ft, 40 ft, 50 ft, etc. If you don't know I suggest you find out. I have had my 19 cu ft pony for over a year now. It has never been deployed in an "emergency situation". It has however been filled 6 times from my practice runs. And topped off a couple times for the same reason. In short, use it if you must but be sure you can use it in the conditions you usually dive in. If not ditch it and get a pony and practice with it.

I have only been using Spare Air in a shallow quarry, less than 30 feet, and that's all the deeper I plan to go. I agree, though, if you are going much deeper it probably gives you a false sense of security, given how quickly you'd burn through it at depth.

JimLap:
Yes the product spare air. For what you pay for one of those things you can set up a 19 cu ft pony with a real reg and regular spg or even button spg and have enough gas, for me anyway, to do a safe ascent from 100 ft including 3 minute safety stop. The spare air might be ok if you don't plan on going deeper than 30 ft and can blow off your safety stop. I never omit a stop. Yeah it's small and easy to carry but why? Have I ever had one? No. Would I use and trust one with my life in the types of conditions I dive and to the depths I do even solo? No, no, no. What it is is a can of air good for maybe 3 or 4 breaths at 60 ft. If I've been down any amt of time and need to abort due to a loss of gas I want enough air to get me up without omitting a stop and possibily taking a hit. Also you say you have never deployed it in an emergency, how many times have you used it in practice? If you've not how do you know it will work for you? To carry gear, any gear, and not be intimately familiar with it's use and capabilities is worse than not carrying it at all. Do you know you can safely ascend with it from 33 ft or are you willing to "trust" it. Exactly how many breaths can you get from it at 20ft, 30ft, 40 ft, 50 ft, etc. If you don't know I suggest you find out. I have had my 19 cu ft pony for over a year now. It has never been deployed in an "emergency situation". It has however been filled 6 times from my practice runs. And topped off a couple times for the same reason. In short, use it if you must but be sure you can use it in the conditions you usually dive in. If not ditch it and get a pony and practice with it.

Can't find the review of spare air and H2o odyssey, but here are some charts on pony bottles. Spare air is 3 CF I think.

http://www.scubanaked.com/pony.html

According to the SDI solo course overview the Spare Air is listed as a acceptable redundant system for the solo diving course.

captain:
According to the SDI solo course overview the Spare Air is listed as a acceptable redundant system for the solo diving course.

Yuck! Sounds like the course is worth less than I thought. Why would they allow that? It's only one step away from a CESA. And if your under 30 feet, you'll probably still end up with a CESA anyway.

FD

Back
Top Bottom