redundancy equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
Yuck! Sounds like the course is worth less than I thought. Why would they allow that? It's only one step away from a CESA. And if your under 30 feet, you'll probably still end up with a CESA anyway.

FD
Don't know if I'd want an instructor who would allow me to use it:confused: . I'd be checking to see if he took out a life insurance policy on me!:11:

JimLap:
Don't know if I'd want an instructor who would allow me to use it:confused: . I'd be checking to see if he took out a life insurance policy on me!:11:

Id ask him to demostrate its use from the maximum recommended depth for the course.

When I solo I may take a pony bottle with me and I may use a second computer for depth and time. Nothing else changers. I always carry 2 lights and 2 knifes

hi all! i dive solo 90% of the time. when i dive with a single tank, i dive with a 30 cu.ft pony tank with a redundant reg, computer, and psi gage, ALLWAYS !!! in my b.c. i always carry 1 primary light, 1 back-up light. 1 pair emt shears. 1 leatherman's wave mulit tool. 1 pair of shears capable of cutting thru 1/4 cable. 1 set of regular deco tables , 1 set of 32% nitrox tables, 1 set of 36% nitrox tables. instruction cards for both of my computers plus one for my mosquito dive watch/ computer. 1, 45lb. surface bouy. 1, 100lb. lift bag. 1, 150ft thumb spool with double ender clip. 1 signaling mirror with whistle. primary knife monted on my bc where i can reach it with either hand, and a back up knife mounted on my console. last but not least my dive tracker reciving unit. the ony difference is when i dive with my doubles, then i forgo the pony bottle and use an islation manifold with dual regs. all of the other gear NEVER CHANGES!. i'd rather have what i need and not need it, verses not have it and need it!!!! ive been diving way to long to not dive smart. i don't take stupid chances,i know my abilities and my limitations. i'm mot the least bit hesitant to pull the pin on ANY dive for ANY reason if i don't feel 125% positive about the dive. i don't dive with an ego, i don't need that type of a bad buddy. ken

Ken, I'm curious how you carry all that stuff. Do you have some type of cargo bag that you can attach close to your body, or is it distributed all over? I'd like to carry more redundancy equipment and resources, but have trouble finding enough places for it all without having stuff hanging out or down all over.
Oz

There are only two pieces of equipment I consider essential for a solo dive. A redundant air source and a redundant computer. I often carry the redundant air source even if I am not solo and I always have the redundant computer. What the air source is and what other equipment I bring is entirely dependent upon the dive I am about to do. I don't believe in bring extraneous stuff I don't plan on using. I have a 19 cf pony, but I have used a 63, an 80, independent doubles (bands are easier to pack than a pony) or doubles with an isolator. I may take an an extra mask, extra cutting tools, lift bags, etc. It just depends. A quick tour around our local lake is not the same thing as dropping on the Jodrey.

The many and varied answers to BOONDOCKSAINT's question are a testament to solo divers' thoughtfulness, thoroughness, and ingenuity. As always, I am able to glean new insight from reading these many posts.
I would like to add that as a current "solo" scuba diver and a former senior skydiving instructor (Instr. "A" & "B") I am a firm believer in ALL types of redundancy - equipment and training (really important to have a backup chute and to be able to REACT without conscious thought). To that end, it is my personal belief that all the equipment and training we accumulate, utilize, and confabulate about might as well rust and fade away in the corner of our garages...unless we continually practice all the skills we have learned. IMHO this entails repetitive rehearsal of locating and using all the equipment we normally bring on our dives, as well as donning and doffing (no cheating-keep the gloves on) B.C.'s, mask(s), fins, tools, etc. Also, although it might seem simplistic or silly, or even highly improbable, consideration might be given to odd scenarios which can occur - loss of lights or computer info (even backups). Disorientation. Panic -- ever spit your reg out accidently when you were a "newbie" solo diver? People do it !!
I guess my not-so-succinct point is that "Murphy" has a nasty way of sneaking up on you, plus -- as we are all aware -- problems only seem to multiply once they begin in the underwater setting!! However, through vigilance and "real-world" practice we can both mitigate these factors and show the rest of the diving community that we are serious about our highly skilled and fascinating aspect of this sport.

Hope this isn't too off topic. Just a thought or two...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom