Redundant Air questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly doubt I'll ever use it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My biggest reason for wanting to carry one is for other divers. I like the idea of being able to pass off a completely independent air source to a diver with an out of air situation or equipment failure.

If you run into a truly OOA diver, it's likely that you will be 'passing off' your primary 2nd stage regardless of any idea you might like. It's impressive how quickly a near-panicked diver will rip the 2nd stage right out of your mouth. So you might consider starting your set up with a long hose on your primary 2nd stage if you haven't already.

Pony use is a hot topic of discussion on SB, with all sorts of opinions. Mine is that many divers use a pony out of some vague sense that 'more air' is safer, when in fact having a bailout bottle covers up for less-than-ideal dive behavior. Of course, I'm sure that neither you nor anyone else on this thread is guilty of that....

I own a 13 cft pony, and for the past several years have used it to soak regulators, fill tires, but almost never on a dive. IMO if you are diving in a situation where redundant air is appropriate, use doubles. If you can't use doubles, dive with a reliable buddy who you can count on in the event of regulator failure. If you can't do either of those things, you are in recreational solo diving territory and there is much more that goes into doing that safely than simply carrying a pony bottle. But that's just my opinion.

Regarding the size, it might be helpful to consider this: a 13 cft is roughly equal to 500 PSI in an AL80, and a 19 cft is about 750 PSI. Since the whole issue is more about 'feeling comfortable' than any demonstrable increase in safety, just ask yourself what reserve you're comfortable with and there's your answer.

I highly doubt I'll ever use it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My biggest reason for wanting to carry one is for other divers. I like the idea of being able to pass off a completely independent air source to a diver with an out of air situation or equipment failure.
If you highly doubt you're ever going to use it then why buy a whole set up just for someone else to use? Let them buy their own.
Or, if you insist on supplying someone else with a spare pony why not just hang it on them from the start. That way there's no unclipping, handing off, and clipping on during the emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom