Redundant Bouancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmileMon:
I've heard a nice thing today from my instructor, I think he has a point, use a 100 pound lift bag, its huge so others can spot you in the water and its easy to deploy.

You can use it as a bouyancy device (which is a bad idea, especially with something that big) or use it with a safety reel.

Extract the amount of line you need from your reel BEFORE connecting it to the lift bag, and let it ride to the surface..

Combined with ties on your safety reel every 10 feet, its almost fool proof in my opinion. lets say you want to be at 40', just extract 40', tie, deploy, hold.

What could be better than that? (other than service your equipment and check it frequently enough to avoid it)

I know a lift bag is sometimes useless at the surface, so inflate your smb, drop weights and relax, if you can drop your weights, get a bigger smb..

I'll bet that is a sight. Talk about a self-created entanglement hazard. What is happening to the end of the line that will be attached to the lift-bag? Is the instructor holding it in his (or her) hands? It'd a miracle if all that line "just hanging around" did not bird's-nest.

Green_Manelishi:
I'll bet that is a sight. Talk about a self-created entanglement hazard. What is happening to the end of the line that will be attached to the lift-bag? Is the instructor holding it in his (or her) hands? It'd a miracle if all that line "just hanging around" did not bird's-nest.

Since the line was slightly negative, it was like a U in the water, the current was really strong but for some reason the U kept itself in a good shape, left hand the reel, right hand has the lift bag, fill lift bag, shoot it to the surface and it stops right where your hand is... its weird, it looked dangerous but worked like a charm.

Oh, I have to add, I never seen him do it in more than 20 fsw, perhaps that's the reason it was ok, not enough line...

SmileMon:
Oh, I have to add, I never seen him do it in more than 20 fsw, perhaps that's the reason it was ok, not enough line...
That can make a lot of difference, still not a good idea IMHO.

I think most of us usually do this at about 60ft or deeper. Lot of line to get messed up in.

SmileMon:
Since the line was slightly negative, it was like a U in the water, the current was really strong but for some reason the U kept itself in a good shape, left hand the reel, right hand has the lift bag, fill lift bag, shoot it to the surface and it stops right where your hand is... its weird, it looked dangerous but worked like a charm.
Bad idea! As others have explained, not something that can be done safely.... especially in a current.:shakehead

Meng_Tze:
Not sure. you have one bladder with a limited number of valves. Lets say the bladder is punctured/ripped open. (without going into how one can still manage by positioning the body). You have no more buoyancy device.....
Meng_Tze,

I know it is hard to understand in Florida, but in Oregon where the water is cold, a wet suit is a buoyancy device.

For those of you advocating the use of a lift bag for a redundant buoyancy device, please read this thread thoroughly:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=149938

This is a more accurate accounting of the accident:

http://www.wahoo2001.com/Dave Bright Death Andrea Doria.htm

This shows that even the most experienced can have problems with this technique.

SeaRat

Thank you all!

I've been following along with all this rabble. It has been great! In the end I went with Carter SMB and the Manta Jr. Dive Reel. I dropped some lead from my belt. I'm comfortable that in the event that I have a BC failure, I'm not SOL:D

Droped 2#'s of lead and I was able to swim, albeit not a great joy to do so, my 'rig' to the surface with no air in the BC. I practiced deploying the SMB from a safety stop, from 40ft, and from 60ft. Man that thing takes off like a Polaris missle! Wow! Using the reel I then was able to fish my way the line.

You guys pointed out some good ideas, as well as some ideas that aren't so good to do!

Again thanks!

Chris

By the way, that Manta reel rocks! I have a $250 baitcaster that birdnests if you don't do it just perfectly! Short of taking out the 'bent washer' (that is their secret) I couldn't get that thing to birdnest or backlash! Fingerspool? After studying one...I'm psyched on that Manta!

SeaRat,

I can't agree with you more! Being properly weighted is a brilliant concept that is lost on so many divers. For a long time I thought I was properly weighted, but when I finally took the time to do a proper bouyancy check in the ocean with my normal rig I found out I was 8#'s overweighted... my buddy found out she was 10#'s overweighted.

John,
I just read your note that a diver should not being overweighted to the extent that he is overly dependent on his BC. I thought it was well thought out, solid advice and I thank you for taking the time to share it with other divers.

Bill Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom