Redundant SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Still learning about the DIR gear configuration. I am reading the six skills of technical diving and the author mentioned that a redundant SPG on the right post was unnecessary. Why wouldn't redundancy for the SPG be a useful thing to have?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Christophe

Six Skills is by all accounts a great book (I plan on ordering a copy soon myself), but it is by no means a manual of DIR. It doesn't seem to be incompatible with DIR teachings, but its audience is broader than that.

That said, no DIR agency recommends a backup SPG. A few reasons:
-Complicates hose routing and long hose donation
-You should be able to approximate your gas usage quite accurately by knowing your typical SAC, depth, and time
-If you need a quick check, for most left post failures you can just crack the knob back open
-Once you have a left post failure you're calling the dive anyway. While knowing how much gas you have left might be reassuring, you've either got enough gas or you don't. Hopefully you planned conservatively and you have plenty (whatever's left in your tanks that's accessible, plus your buddy's reserve.

Six Skills is by all accounts a great book (I plan on ordering a copy soon myself), but it is by no means a manual of DIR. It doesn't seem to be incompatible with DIR teachings, but its audience is broader than that.That said, no DIR agency recommends a backup SPG. A few reasons:-Complicates hose routing and long hose donation-You should be able to approximate your gas usage quite accurately by knowing your typical SAC, depth, and time-If you need a quick check, for most left post failures you can just crack the knob back open-Once you have a left post failure you're calling the dive anyway. While knowing how much gas you have left might be reassuring, you've either got enough gas or you don't. Hopefully you planned conservatively and you have plenty (whatever's left in your tanks that's accessible, plus your buddy's reserve.
Well said but you can also add into the mix TEAM. We have team resources and Ari's gas is also my gas and my gas is also Ari gas. Shut it down and call the dive!

Well said but you can also add into the mix TEAM. We have team resources and Ari's gas is also my gas and my gas is also Ari gas. Shut it down and call the dive!

Definitely true also.

If it was me I would just contact the local GUE instructor and buy him lunch. Pick his brain and then come up with a plan. If inclined take him along to the shop. The money spent on having him help is well worth it in the long run. Then an hour in the pool to fine tune it might just save you a year of wasted time and wrong choices. At that point you can decide if the skill set that goes along with the gear is worth the investment as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom