Reef Quality in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what videos you are referring to but I dive in Cozumel at least twice yearly and find the reefs absolutely beautiful.

Here is a link to a video I made last year covering over 15 dives across most the popular reefs. You can judge for yourself but I didn't see any of the algae you are referring to unless things have changed this year.

Nice video. I also enjoyed your other video at Vimeo of your grandson's first dives. Recommended for anyone who needs a lift. :)

Also, the reefs at Cozumel will be recovering from Wilma's ravaging for centuries, but the path it took largely spared the far south and north ends of the island.

Funny thing is, years ago, when I made my own Post Wilma trip report (from a 02/06 trip) and reported the incredible underwater devastation.....totally nuked came to mind......., the Cozumel mafia on the board almost crucified me ! To me, Cozumel can be divided into two separate time eras, BW (Before Wilma) and AW (After Wilma). I wish I'd been certified sooner than in 2001, so that I could have enjoyed more of the Cozumel BW era.

As far as sparing the far north and far south ends of the island.......some dive ops, especially the cheaper ones, won't take you there due to the extra time/fuel expenses involved, and the northern sites are famous for only being offered by the expensive, boutique dive ops catering to the most advanced/experienced of divers.

Even worse, there have been recent threads here reporting a substantial amount of illegal fishing going on within the marine park, which isn't doing the reef ecosystem any favors as certain fish are vital to keeping algae from coating the weakened reef.

Last edited:
Tres Pelicanos takes me north just about every trip. Dove Cozumel pre Wilma several times too. I have been to the north end with Pelagic Ventures & Blue XT Sea also.

Edited to add that Blue Angel also took me to the north end where I was lucky enough to photograph the one & only Dolphin I've seen underwater. Jorge (now with Tres Pelicanos) was the DM.

Last edited:
Tres Pelicanos takes me north just about every trip. Dove Cozumel pre Wilma several times too. I have been to the north end with Pelagic Ventures & Blue XT Sea also.

Edited to add that Blue Angel also took me to the north end where I was lucky enough to photograph the one & only Dolphin I've seen underwater. Jorge (now with Tres Pelicanos) was the DM.

Depending on one's definition of 'north', I think only Aldora does the really northern sites:

"More recently Aldora opened its Polar Express service, which offers the opportunity to enjoy pristine dives to the north-west part of the island which has proven very popular,....

Thus Aldora Adventures will now provide guided services to these areas, but only for the most experienced and capable divers. The reason is that these locations are well north of the tip of Cozumel Island and out in the open ocean where waves and currents can be strong, and little support or help can be available, other than what Aldora itself brings along."

It isn't cheap, and you have to be screened/vetted by Aldora first, only a tiny % of divers will ever see these areas.

By north my post refers to the common dive sites along the island (Cantarell, San Juan & Barracuda), which are well north of the Marine Park but diving Barracuda does take you well out from the island & you do need to stick together as a group from start to finish. When you surface it's unlikely there will be other boats in the area than the one you came on.

Funny thing is, years ago, when I made my own Post Wilma trip report (from a 02/06 trip) and reported the incredible underwater devastation.....totally nuked came to mind......., the Cozumel mafia on the board almost crucified me ! To me, Cozumel can be divided into two separate time eras, BW (Before Wilma) and AW (After Wilma). I wish I'd been certified sooner than in 2001, so that I could have enjoyed more of the Cozumel BW era.

As far as sparing the far north and far south ends of the island.......some dive ops, especially the cheaper ones, won't take you there due to the extra time/fuel expenses involved, and the northern sites are famous for only being offered by the expensive, boutique dive ops catering to the most advanced/experienced of divers.
Opinions vary and perspectives vary. I have been diving at Cozumel many times both "BW" and "AW". Some reefs were more affected than others by the storm; especially hard hit were the shallow areas close to shore that were caught between the onshore wind and wave action of Wima's southern eyewall and the island. Some of these areas will not totally recover in my or my daughter's lifetime.

That said, to make the blanket statement that the Cozumel reefs were "totally nuked" and no longer worth diving, even shortly after the storm, is an exaggeration that is sure to draw some difference of opinion. Characterizing people who disagreed with you as the "mafia" and their response as near crucifixion is a bit disingenuous, IMO.

There may be Cozumel dive ops who will not take divers to Colombia Shallows, Punta Sur, Colombia Deep, Barracuda, or San Juan because of the time or expense, but I have never encountered one myself.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom