Reef Quality in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am staking out my next dive trip and am considering making my first trip to Cozumel. I have always heard the diving in Cozumel is great. However, most of the videos I have seen recently (mainly ones referencing Aldora) make me wonder about the quality of Cozumel's reefs. Most of what I have seen is primarily algae, rock (very cool structures) and sand. There are some patches with a few soft corals and sponges, but they are the minority. Hard corals are almost completely absent. Is the draw of Cozumel diving more based on temperature and visibility, or perhaps large animals, and less on the reefs? I am trying to target the best reefs in the Caribbean and am looking for input.

I'm not sure what videos you are referring to but I dive in Cozumel at least twice yearly and find the reefs absolutely beautiful.

Here is a link to a video I made last year covering over 15 dives across most the popular reefs. You can judge for yourself but I didn't see any of the algae you are referring to unless things have changed this year.

I am staking out my next dive trip and am considering making my first trip to Cozumel. I have always heard the diving in Cozumel is great. However, most of the videos I have seen recently (mainly ones referencing Aldora) make me wonder about the quality of Cozumel's reefs. Most of what I have seen is primarily algae, rock (very cool structures) and sand. There are some patches with a few soft corals and sponges, but they are the minority. Hard corals are almost completely absent. Is the draw of Cozumel diving more based on temperature and visibility, or perhaps large animals, and less on the reefs? I am trying to target the best reefs in the Caribbean and am looking for input.

I've had the displeasure of diving dead algae infested reefs - some that years ago were pretty impressive... The reefs of the Florida Keys and Key Largo in particular. That reef is DEAD. Pollution, development, global warming, too much traffic, I've no idea but I'll never dive off Largo again. Looe Key in the shallows off Big Pine I believe was nice 15 years ago but I haven't been back since and hope it looks nothing like those off Largo. I'm not a world dive traveler as I don't have the $ for it but as far as I'm concerned, for the $ there is no better diving to be had in the Caribbean than Coz. I haven't been everywhere in the Caribbean first hand but every diver I've spoken with over the past 15 years of diving Coz says the same - there's no better in the Caribbean and they've been everywhere so I have to rely on what those who have the $ to go anywhere in the Caribbean have to say about Coz.

I think one of things that may be skewing your view of Coz and what you see on video is it offers SO much structure. As I've said over and over again, deeper doesn't mean better but for many divers the lure of cavernous coral structure is what they love to explore and capture on video. Hang on the top of all that structure at 40' that they are swimming through at 80' and you'll experience an entirely different environment. If only those who love to go deep and bang on their tanks signaling to look at this or that could see what I quietly see - just by hanging shallower. Oh well - to each their own.

Last edited:
TheFife,
Cozumel has nice healthy reefs. It offers exceptional drift diving and it's easy to get to. There are many operators to choose from and dive sites suitable for folks that are starting to dive, all the way to divers seeking swift currents and challenging conditions.
Cheers,
Ricardo

I'm suprised by what you are describing in the videos you've seen. Would you have the link available?

Like the rest of the world the reef is in trouble but it's one of the top spots for coral density I've seen in the Caribbean. Sadly that isn't saying much. However, it's difficult to find rocks out on the reef and it's tons of hard and soft coral, sponges, fans etc for miles along the wall.

Which dive spots have you visited, it might help us to gauge the site to your experiences elsewhere.

Regards,
Cameron

Odd, I was going to refer you to the myriad of videos found on this site....most all showcase a wonderful reef? Not knowing where you been, besides Iowa, it's hard to see your opinion?

As someone said, what most people post video of is the mountainous coral formations and the tops of those are covered in finger corals, lettuce corals, sea fans, gorgonians, and more. Here is a short unedited clip that shows some of that. It goes on and on.

However, most of the videos I have seen recently (mainly ones referencing Aldora) make me wonder about the quality of Cozumel's reefs. Most of what I have seen is primarily algae, rock (very cool structures) and sand.

Any chance you are looking at Aldora Wall, which is the shore dive at their villas? What you describe sounds like Cozumel's shore diving.

As someone said, what most people post video of is the mountainous coral formations and the tops of those are covered in finger corals, lettuce corals, sea fans, gorgonians, and more. Here is a short unedited clip that shows some of that. It goes on and on.

Nice clip. Yes this is typical.

Maybe cool rocks is the devil's throat area perhaps? Hard to find rock out on the wall mainly.

Compared to what?

If you've just come back from Raja Ampat, you would probably find the reefs of Cozumel fairly unimpressive. If all you've seen underwater are rock quarries in Missouri, Cozumel will knock your socks off.

I too "have not seen it all". But I have been to some amazing dive sites around the world (including, to be honest, some a lot better than Cozumel). But I know we have been badly spoiled by some of those other places. But a day diving at a good site is still worthwhile, even if it's not Milne Bay or Palau. Yeah, Cozumel is not Misool - but it's also not 6 long flights away on the far side of the world and doesn't cost a small fortune to dive there.

To me, diving in Cozumel is worthwhile and very enjoyable. It's as good as any I've seen in the Caribbean. It's also easy, relaxed, simple and relatively quick to get to, not crazy expensive, and offers lots of enjoyment after the dive itself. The reefs are healthy, and they are not covered with lionfish. There are very few dive destinations that I care to repeat many times. Cozumel is one of them.

I'm serious - it's all relative.

Back
Top Bottom