Reel Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started a tec class (TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures) and am in need of a 400' reel. As my regular reel jammed up on me rec diving in Jupiter a few months ago, I am looking for a good quality one that's less likely to tangle. Looking for recommendations...

Thanks,
Steve

I've heard good things about Light Monkey. I own one, but have nothing to compare it to. I got it as it was highly recommended. I like it. YMMV.

Hands down either the Light Monkey or Halcyon ones! I have both and they are much better than some of the cheaper reels that I've used.

Hands down either the Light Monkey or Halcyon ones! I have both and they are much better than some of the cheaper reels that I've used.

This! Great reel's, almost impossible to muck up!

there is some debate on this, especially regarding a divers skill level. You can try to develop a reel that is built to extremely tight tolerances so it theoretically can't jam, though if it does, it is damn near impossible to remove. You can also try to make one that depending on the divers skill is enough to prevent rats nests, but if they do happen, are super easy to remove.
Which reel do you have currently and what do you not like about it? also do you really need that big of a reel for andp? That sounds quite excessive unless you're doing penetration. The LM and Halcyon reels are quite good, the Logic Reel is also very very good, though I have no issues using the Dive Rite reels

What is great about the Light Monkey & Halcyon reels is that they are made from delrin, literally impossible to break so if you have your reel clipped to your butt d-ring and sit on it after getting on a boat...it will survive, cant say that about a dive-rite reel that has thermoplastic bobbin.

My favorite is the one from ReefScuba. The spool can be removed easily and any untangle easily remedied. While I've never had a tangle (snicker) I've loaned it to students with great success.

Halcyon/ LM for depths >100ft (or so). 150' spool for anything shallower than ~100ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom