Reflections of a cold water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

I recently completed both my 50th dive and my Master Diver certification. I'd like to share a few random reflections:

1. Keep diving, keep training. Take additional courses beyond your basic OW certification. I felt bulletproof when I completed my OW cert. In truth, my training with ACUC was excellent. Nevertheless, what I have learned subsequently in courses such as scuba rescue diver might save someone's life, and possibly my own. Don't just keep diving, keep training.

2. If you can dive in cold water in currents, you rock! It took me many dives to make buoyancy control second-nature. Getting into a drysuit made me (almost) start over. Good trim is critical. I recently dove in West Palm, FL - I only needed my wetsuit top. I was a buoyancy god compared to many of the divers as suit compression was (compared to cold-water garb) minimal. My air consumption was great since I did not have to lug my gear plus 30+ pounds of weight into the water to get neutral, and that oppressive hood was unnecessary.

3. Drysuits rock. My open water dives, done in a wetsuit, were at 4C (about 36F?) on the first day and 1C (I believe that this converts to 33F) on the second day. If anyone tells you that 36F and 33F are the same, they are lying. At 36F you are very cold. At 33F your exposed skin feels like it is burning. If it is any consolation, the exposed skin goes numb in less than five minutes.

4. Drysuits rock. They cost a lot, but MAN are they worth it!

5. Keep training.

Man I thought it was cold here in socal during the winter, but that is nothing compared to where you are!

For me diving has been a slow journey that started in 2002 with an intro to scuba in Hawaii.

I was certified in 04 and am just getting around to AOW classes. I do want to train more. I want to get rescue and Nitrox certs as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

4C is about 39F, I think. After doing some springtime dives where it was 41F (5C) below the thermocline I've thought about going dry as well. If I were going into 33F I would be going dry for sure - that sounds brutal!

I kept diving in my wetsuit until the day the water was 45F. That wasn't so bad but the outdoor temp was 31F so inbetween dives I froze. After the second dive it took me an hour start to warm up. I then got my drysuit.

You are right to keep training. Thanks

Dry suits are much better for warmth, but also create other learning curves and definitely increase the weight requirements, but they do allow you to keep diving in colder water.

3. Drysuits rock. My open water dives, done in a wetsuit, were at 4C (about 36F?) on the first day and 1C (I believe that this converts to 33F) on the second day. If anyone tells you that 36F and 33F are the same, they are lying. At 36F you are very cold. At 33F your exposed skin feels like it is burning. If it is any consolation, the exposed skin goes numb in less than five minutes.

4c is more like 39F, you can minimize the effect of burning by putting a layer of vaseline on you face in places exposed to the water. It does not allow water to get into contact with the skin and it helps a lot.

I would love to get trained in using a dry suit. I just got open water certified in 51 degree water here in Boston Harbor, I don't think I could imagine 35 and 36 degrees! I love the scenery underwater here and I want to be able to stay down long enough to take my time and appreciate it without worrying about getting hypothermic =P How much warmer does a dry suit keep you in comparison?

And I have 6 dives under my belt so far, once I get 20 I'm going to get my AOW cert and from there I plan on Nitrox and Rescue, not sure which one first though =)

Greetings mpetryk and I love your reflections as they mirror my own. Training is paramount to a diver in the cold water environment. We are not afforded the comfort of warm water in our local waters. Cold water can be a cruel mistress at times but she offers the best wreck diving in the world! One thing is certain if you train for cold water diving, free flows, current, heavy exposure protection, etc warm water adventures are a seemingly much more easy. But as our local waters teach us never become complacent at any time. Always be prepared for the unexpected! Thus the training comes in and oh what a relief it is indeed. Being in a state of readiness to handle what may come up is priceless in time of need. This is why it is so critical to train like you want to dive. DIVE HARD / TRAIN HARD! I have had to opportunity to dive around many of your countrymen and I have to say it has been a pleasure. A more dedicated group of serious cold water lovers I have not known as of yet.
Dry Suits are awesome, they are like water proof sleeping bags! Ah I love my sleeping bag... Exposure protection is a huge consideration that effects every aspect of our diving. From serious hypothermia to air consumption our bodies require we maintain a watchful eye on our core temp. Are they expensive? Well in scope of the other gear one has to dive and what their function is not really to bad. They offer year round diving, comfort, and safety. Safety because they are a back up buoyancy device in a pinch, bc bladder failure. It happens and it did to me! Train, Train, and Train some more! Never take any dive for granted or break safe diving principals.
Dive with in your limits and training constantly evolving to become the diver your goals demand. Safe diving to all and to the new or contemplating, JUMP IN THE WATER IS GREAT!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

While it's all good and sound to keep training, I don't think it is necessary to rush the certificates.

After having completed a certification class, spend a few (or a lot of) dives practicing the skills you learned in the class. The fact that you have the certificate card doesn't mean you're actually good at it. A lot of new divers, encouraged by the PADI way and to some extent greedy instructors, will do Open Water - AOW - Rescue classes basically without doing much - if any - diving inbetween.

Practice until you don't have to think about what you're doing - most skills should basically be reflexes and require no thinking at all. This helps A LOT when things go wrong during a dive.

]A lot of new divers, encouraged by the PADI way and to some extent greedy instructors, will do Open Water - AOW - Rescue classes basically without doing much - if any - diving inbetween.

Honestly, with a well run Rescue class, a new diver who is still learning how to control their buoyancy and the other basic skills shouldn't be able to pass it.

I know a lot of places pass you if you pay them... but a well run rescue class is actually pretty demanding on all involved and a noob (unless they are Jacques Cousteau reincarnated) should have real problems completing the skills to a level needed to successfully pass (IMHO)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom