Reflections of a cold water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabbath999, I agree. But the point I wanted to get across (and I don't know how well I managed) is that passing a class basically just provides you with the tools to learn. Then the actual learning involves a lot of repeating until it's second nature. Until one has reached that point, I think you should consider the class still a work in progress.

Well, if I can throw my 2 cents worth in: For what its worth, I have only JUST completed my NAUI OW Cert here in the Bay of Fundy. Water Temp for all of my check-out dives was a balmy 47*F (It doesn't get a whole heck of a lot warmer than that in the height of summer either...). While I found the water a bit cold on my exposed face (I like the vasoline on the cheeks idea..I think I may try that once the water temp goes down a few more degrees...) I was quite warm and comfortable for the duration of all of my dives (I have a healthy layer of biological insulation to add to my neoprene). I stopped noticing the cold on my exposed cheeks within a minute of going below the surface, and my whole body remained warm throughout. Now, mind you, I was using a 7mm full suit with boots, gloves, and a hooded 7mm vest, but even so I was initially (prior to my very first OW dive) concerned about whether or not I would be warm.

My Instructor was using 5mm five finger gloves, and I had 7mm three finger gloves. About half way through my first dive, I noticed that my hands actually felt almost hot. After discussing it with him, he suggests that I could probably do quite well with a set of 5 finger gloves as well, and I will probably take him up on that advice for the increased dexterity.

Oh, you Canadians always whining about the cold!

I was diving in water that WAS REALLY COLD.

HOW COLD WAS IT?

It was so cold that I took a dump in my drysuit just to have a warm place to sit down.

:D

Beck-Miester, Where do you dive in Bay of Fundy? Here on the NS Eastern Shore I still read temps. of 53 or so (+13C), so 7 mil diving is still a piece of cake. Getting a little uncomfortable topside between dives, as usual. I did my Deep Cert. late May in 130 fsw and 33F in the 7 mil. MAN that was rough. But I'm usually OK at least IN the water until the temps. drop below the 40-43F range. Then the first thing to go is the hands (5 finger glove-I won't use those mits).

The Bay of Fundy has an average summer water temperature of between 8-12C (46.4*F - 53.6*F) and winter temperatures of 0-4C (32*F-39.2*F). It misses that comparatively warm water that flows up the coast line from the Gulf of Mexico and is thus considerably colder. Like I said: Right now (Mid October) we are looking at 47*F as an average temp.

We were diving off Cancat Beach on Deer Island. Nice dive! The only trick is that the current there is wicked if you are diving at any time outside of the slack. by the time we called an end to the dive, currents were upwards of 5 - 7 knots! It was at that point that we decided to call an end to the dive!

Beck

I'm coming back from a dive trip over the weekend at Les Escoumins on the North Coast of Québec. The water was 37-41F. I did 5 dives ranging from 45min-1h and down to 130ft. I was the only one of the group diving wet.

That was cold. For the first time I felt my feet freeze, but not my hands.

When diving in very cold water, you must be equiped with really good stuff.

Here in Iowa it gets cold when we go ice diving in the low 30's, I have long since gone dry.

A lip shield over your mouthpiece really helps as well, I use one made by Aqualung and for the $12.00 I spent I no longer get chapped lips after ice dives especially after several dives over the weekend.

I agree keep training but,also keep diving it really does get better each dive......

While it's all good and sound to keep training, I don't think it is necessary to rush the certificates.

I agree. Taking certification courses is akin to learning to drive. It is better to learn from a pro than to learn bad habits from your parents or friends. This assumes that the pro is a pro and that the curriculum is good...

I'm coming back from a dive trip over the weekend at Les Escoumins on the North Coast of Québec. The water was 37-41F. I did 5 dives ranging from 45min-1h and down to 130ft. I was the only one of the group diving wet.

That was cold. For the first time I felt my feet freeze, but not my hands.

When diving in very cold water, you must be equiped with really good stuff.

You are brave :) Even in a dry-suit with Hi-Loft bare undergarments I start feeling cold at the 50th min in 43F water. and 85 min was tops that we could handle :) Wet suit in 37-41 , I cannot imaging it even in a nightmare :D

It was so cold that I took a dump in my drysuit just to have a warm place to sit down.

:D

He said W A R H A M M E R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom