Reg. hose routing w/pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on the following regulator set-up and would like to hear how anybody else with this set-up does it.

Regs.
1 - Apeks ATX 200 (Primary) long hose
2 - Apeks ATX 50
3 - Pony with seperate 1st and 2nd stage. (Probably an Apeks 20 or another 50)

What is the preferred method for running the lines using the above? And the proper placement of the regs?

My thought was the standard Primary with the octo next to my chin but if I do this where would the pony reg go? Tucked away?

The reason I like the above set-up is this: Since I am new it is just as easy for me to learn a good safe set-up as to learn anything else than have to change later.

Primary: I like the reasoning and explainations I have read regarding the long primary hose and it's function.

Back-up/octo: I know I do not need this if I am carrying a pony but in case I do not want to carry the pony on short shallow dives.

The Pony: I like and beleive in the the idea of having a buddy but do not want to bet my life on it. I want a completely seperate air supply.

All help is appreciated
ScottM

Scott M once bubbled...
My thought was the standard Primary with the octo next to my chin but if I do this where would the pony reg go? Tucked away?

Slinging a pony, if you are indeed going to carry a pony, is an alternative to mounting the pony to your back tank.

When slung, a pony's hose & second stage can be tucked into elastic retainers or strips of inner tubing from a float innertube.

Then in the event that you need the pony, you can deploy it like a stage bottle.

Scott M once bubbled... I am planning on the following regulator set-up and would like to hear how anybody else with this set-up does it.

Regs.
1 - Apeks ATX 200 (Primary) long hose
2 - Apeks ATX 50

What is the preferred method for running the lines using the above? And the proper placement of the regs?

The reason I like the above set-up is this: Since I am new it is just as easy for me to learn a good safe set-up as to learn anything else than have to change later.

Primary: I like the reasoning and explainations I have read regarding the long primary hose and it's function.

Back-up/octo: I know I do not need this if I am carrying a pony but in case I do not want to carry the pony on short shallow dives.

The Pony: I like and beleive in the the idea of having a buddy but do not want to bet my life on it. I want a completely seperate air supply.

All help is appreciated
ScottM
I'd carry the pony like a stage bottle.

Karl/Don

Is there any place you know of I can look up to see how to do the pony on a sling?

ScottM

Scott M once bubbled... Is there any place you know of I can look up to see how to do the pony on a sling?

ScottM
The GUE website has some good stuff, as does Jim Cobb's trimix site.

http://www.gue.com/equipment/tanks-4.shtml

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/trimix.html

http://tekdiver.com/stagebottle.asp

The only thing I get from a dive shop is the bolt snaps. Most shops will try to sell you something like the OMS tank neck ring, which is a pretty dumb way to rig a stage.

If you can find a local dive shop that sells stage tank accessories, they can show you how to rig it.

Scott M once bubbled...

Normally there is only a single 2nd stage on a pony

mwilding once bubbled...
Normally there is only a single 2nd stage on a pony

Wouldn't a first stage be required to get the right IP?

He doesn't mention two seconds so I can only guess where you're getting this.

I find slingling the pony like a stage works best for me. I also like the idea of being able to see the spg, and tucking the hose in retainers for more streamline effect. I rarely dive without a stage, its saved me more than once!

dive safe

Back
Top Bottom