Reg mouthpiece rubs gum due to pulling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stafford

New
Reaction score
My reg mouthpiece rubs my lower right gum. I have changed the mouthpiece and it still occurs. I think it is because the reg is pulled down to the right. Any suggestion besides biting down hard on the mouthpiece?

I use a sea cure. I have a firm grip of reg without clamping down.

Why is it pulled down to the right? Is the hose routed correctly?

Get a moldable mouthpiece, i think they are great.

What type of config is pulling down to the right? I find my long hose to interefere less in terms of push/pull on the second stage than a 'standard' hose.

Edit: Steve_C we apparently had similar thoughts but you beat me to the punch :wink:

As above. I have used a Sea Cure mouthpiece for many years now, the ultimate in comfort. Make sure your hose is of the correct length and that the regulator is at the right angle. Consider a 2nd stage swivel.

We find the same. The Comfo Bite mouthpiece sits securely in the mouth without biting down. Hose routing and length may be bigger factors as already mentioned tho

You may also benefit from a different hose length, or perhaps a 70 degree or 90 degree elbow between the hose and the second stage. I have elbows on all my 2nd stages and they help considerably.

Have your buddy check your hose routing right before you enter or descend. I sometimes get my primary routed under my octo hose when donning. That makes it pull, routed correctly it is fine.

I also favor the Comfo Bite plus I have my primary second stage hose up near the top of my first stage and adjust it accordingly when setting up my gear. Also, what I find most helpful is putting a slight bend in the hose near the second stage. I do this with three cable ties and a little contact cement. Arrange the first two around the hose about four inches from the second stage with the third one going through them. Put a dab of contact cement on the first two to hold them in place. Make sure the third one is facing away from you when you have the tank on your back. Pull the third one until you feel no more pulling on your mouth. When done correctly it takes me no effort to hold the regulator in my mouth, even with a shorter hose.

I'm heading out the door otherwise I'd include a picture.

Later that evening....

Reg Tweeker.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Atomic Aquatics integral Comfort Swivel... I find a huge difference between my B2 with swivel and Z2 without.
Less jaw ache and head movement less restricted... better than the B2's 1st stage port manifold swivel feature IMO.
Also available as a Universal kit with 32" hose to suit a standard 9/16"-18 low pressure hose fitting for most non-Atomic regs at $109 RRP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom