Reg thats easy for parts and self repair yet good performer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a quick ip check when I got the reg and it was 135psi. The adjustment screw is exactly even with the top of the spring retainer. What looks like a hole in the picture is the 8mm hex of the adjustment screw.

No, I mean your conshelf SE2.

I own several Cousteau/SEA/Supra first stages.

Last edited:
No, I mean your conshelf SE2.
Sorry, I was fixating on the SEA, you have a good eye! The IP on that one is high at 145psi and I need to adjust it. Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry, I was fixating on the SEA, you have a good eye! The IP on that one is high at 145psi and I need to adjust it. Thanks for the reminder.

145 won't hurt anything, but even at 145 it still looks a long way in.

Last edited:
As a side note, what's your ip? The adjuster looks to be screwed in a long way.
Here's a bit of Conshelf trivia. Looking through the Service Manual I found this pertaining to initial height of IP adjuster screw.

For XIV: "turn the adjustment screw until it is flush with the top of the spring retainer".
For SE: "the adjustment screw should be turned until it is flush with the secondary diaphragm supporting shoulder".

So the SE adjuster will be lower than the XIV by several mm, which is why mine appears to be turned in so far.

Here's a bit of Conshelf trivia. Looking through the Service Manual I found this pertaining to initial height of IP adjuster screw.

For XIV: "turn the adjustment screw until it is flush with the top of the spring retainer".
For SE: "the adjustment screw should be turned until it is flush with the secondary diaphragm supporting shoulder".

So the SE adjuster will be lower than the XIV by several mm, which is why mine appears to be turned in so far.

Cheers, learn a new thing everyday. That'll explain why your ip is well within range but adjuster so low. Thank you.

I will throw in a different idea. Buy some old beat up Sherwoods? They are affordable on eBay...

Service kits are available online and no special tools are required to service either stage.

On a recent trip a midweek IP check revealed my reg was high (180+ but it still breathed just fine). I removed 2 spring shims with no change, so not a spring issue (this result caused some small amount of confusion for a minute or 2). I then defaulted to blaming an extremely very very fast creep. So it must be the seat! Yep it was scared badly by the piston.

What is everyone using for shims? I am not finding anything available online except for some brass ones for the old Calypso regulators.

I have a Sherwood Magnum with a dirty piston filter. I tried cleaning it after reading many posts here (nothing to lose?) as there were virtually no bubbles (maybe 10 per minute or so). I used a vacuum cleaner with a 3/8" hose attached and dabbed some alcohol onto it while sucking it through with the vacuum. I now have the absolute minimum (13mm/minute) quantity of bubbles but I was using a tank that had only 400 psi in it. I also carefully cleaned the purge valve on the outside and it seems to be fine. When I tested the IP it was reading only 100 psi. I tested my other two Magnums and they were reading about 124. I suspect my gauge is off by about 10 psi. So, when I started adding shims it would get to about 107 (on my bad gauge) but when I added another shim it would jump past 140 and make horrible noises and the second stage would leak. I tried many different thicknesses and kept getting either 107 or way too much). I finally made two shims (just to establish that it's possible to get it to the right pressure) out of a plastic blister pack. It is now reading about 135 but I'm not willing to dive with plastic shims.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom