Reg thats easy for parts and self repair yet good performer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tassi Devil Diver Apeks are not easy for parts and self repair in this country. Dealers are explicitly forbidden from selling parts kits to consumers. You can use third party kits, but nothing from Aqualung directly.

@84CJ7 which side access plug are you referencing? Inline adjusting tools cover most of the "make setup easy" function. There is enough scubapro stuff on @OWIC647 's site to rebuild most Scubapro's, especially the older ones, so I wouldn't have an issue going there. I prefer the 109/156 second stage to the Conshelf second stage, but am not a huge fan of Scubapro first stages since I don't really love pistons. Bryan is putting out videos on how to service all of these regs on his youtube channel as well as keeping a library of the manuals.

Regarding Deep6 and Edge-HOG. Edge-HOG will sell all parts and kits to you regardless of training. @cerich made sure of that when he started the company. The class is available and I believe required to get the official service manuals, though it was many years until that manual was available and those of us using the regs used the Apeks ATX50/DST manuals to rebuild them. The same with the older Dive Rite RG series regulators.

Dive Rite will sell parts for any of their regs, but they do not have a course for end users and will not give out their regulator manuals. There is nothing magical about them though and if you have a functional bit of grey matter between your ears and the Apeks DST manual, you should be able to figure it out.

Deep6 has the reg course out already with TDI. When you buy regs from them they actually come with the first set of parts kits for free and the first service is free if you want to send them back. I do not know what Chris is doing regarding the manuals, but again, if you have a functional bit of grey matter between your ears and the Apeks manual, you'll be able to service them with no problems.

Apeks manuals available at Frogkick

I believe he is referring to the side access port on some second stage Conshelfs. The later metal Conshelf 14 has them as do all of the plastic ones I've seen. In combination with Hermans tool it makes tuning them an absolute breeze. You cannot use an inline adjustment tool with a Conshelf but I guess you know that.

I concur that the Conshelf is almost bullet proof-- I used them for many year's in my classes and for my personal diving as did all my family-- never a problem !

I don't recall ever seeing a Deep Six brand - but sounds interesting - I would question legal ramifications to the company that advertises that it can be repaired by the average diver.

I recall the late Jim Stewart, CDO of SIO (see Passing thread) always saying 'He could repair any regulator in the sand during a wind storm with only a rusty nail" maybe the Deep Six is coming close to Jim's boast.

Many years ago, about 70 years to be correct, Cousteau's Bubble machine appeared in Kalifornia
It was advertised or boasted that it could be dove for 1000 hours with out repair
The Kalifornia divers soon shot a hole in that boast ...
US Divers hired the late Bill Millman as the first regulator repairman
(and there is a lot more to the story...)

SDM

Last edited:
I believe he is referring to the side access port on some second stage Conshelfs. The later metal Conshelf 14 has them as do all of the plastic ones I've seen. In combination with Hermans tool it makes tuning them an absolute breeze. You cannot use an inline adjustment tool with a Conshelf but I guess you know that.

ahh, snazzy, learn something new.

In combination with Hermans tool it makes tuning them an absolute breeze.
I just bought that tool, works great, as does the 1st stage assembly tool (HP Nozzle Assembly Tool).

Last edited:
Apeks are not easy for parts and self repair in this country. Dealers are explicitly forbidden from selling parts kits to consumers.

My LDS will happily sell me Apeks service kits (I am not a service tec), otherwise Apeks kits are widely available across the internet.

My LDS will happily sell me Apeks service kits (I am not a service tec), otherwise Apeks kits are widely available across the internet.

And the policy from Aqualung may well be different in your country. Dealers have lost dealership agreements with Aqualung and Scubapro for providing kits to their customers. This is why you see very few of their products in technical diving, especially in cave country. They are available across the internet and several dealers in Europe have lost their dealerships when caught selling to customers in this country. It's a policy that I refuse to support and specifically recommend against purchasing regulators from Aqualung, Scubapro, and Oceanic/Hollis because of those asinine policies

older SP or US divers that you can get parts/kits from VDH or any of the brands (hog/dive rite/deep 6, etc) selling taiwanese regs that also sell kits/parts

i wouldn't give up on the mares just yet though. you might be able to get the seat and parts you need through a shop that is a trident dealer

Generally shipping from outside the U.S. at very inflated prices (~$40 for first stage). Most are not "official" parts kits either. It's not easy here.

You can't go wrong with the conshelf 14....

Jim..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom