Regs vs. TRIMIX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do service my own regulators and also dive trimix. Could you please explain how the least reactive of the noble gases (look up the definition of noble gas), and as such, the least reactive element in the universe, is able to react with compounds found in regulators?

I'm no chemist, but I've never heard of this before and it sets off the BS detector big-time.

Some info about helium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium. If you read this and can explain how trimix causes more damage to your regulator than nitrox, you are much smarter than I.

To answer the original question...any regulator will work with helium, especially since helium mixes normally do not contain high FO2s. You may want to detune the regulator slightly, however, since helium is a smaller atom and thus breathes extremely easily and can cause freeflows easier.

webediving:
Sogggy,

I can see that you do not service your own regulator. Been doing Trimix for a while to see the difference. Just because Helium is an inert gas and does not have an "effect" in the human phisiology (note that I put " " on effect, He has effects in the body physiology under pressure). It does not mean that it does not react with other materials. Helium does have an adverse effect on the seals and seats of reg. Specially in the first stage diaphragms.

T

Soggy:
You're right, nitrogen (N) is not inert. Nitrogen gas, N2 is an inert molecule, however, and is what we are discussing.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Trimix can't be more reactive than Nitrox or the manufacturers would make new specialty regs that we would "have" to buy or our lives, nay the lives of all of those around us would be in "grave" danger.:D :D :D

OOps, I hope I didn't give them any ideas.

diversolo:
OOps, I hope I didn't give them any ideas.
Even if you did, the people that actually know just ignore them (manufacturers )

:D
peengers:
Helium and Nitrogen still react with things. Case in point, compounds like ammonia , which is NH_3. Maybe not as violently with almost everything like oxygen does, though.

Except the H you are referring to in Ammonia is Hydrogen!!! NOT Helium...

JeffG:
Even if you did, the people that actually know just ignore them (manufacturers )

I know, but I was making light of the way mfrs in the past tried to convince us that special regs were needed for <40% nitrox.

Problem is, there aren't that many people in the know and by the time it would become common knowledge, a whole lot of newly certified trimix divers would be making the mfrs rich(er).

webediving:
Sogggy,

I can see that you do not service your own regulator. Been doing Trimix for a while to see the difference. Just because Helium is an inert gas and does not have an "effect" in the human phisiology (note that I put " " on effect, He has effects in the body physiology under pressure). It does not mean that it does not react with other materials. Helium does have an adverse effect on the seals and seats of reg. Specially in the first stage diaphragms.

T
I service my own regs, and I dive trimix frequently and my BS meter is pinned on this one. Got some chemistry to back this up?

Yep, He is extremely reactive... haven't you ever heard of sodium helide, ferrous helide or carbon tetrahelide?

If anyone is intersted, I will sell you some He compatible o-rings or if you ship me your reg, for a small fee I will convert it for use with mixtures containing up to 70% He.

If you use loosebits services you'll get a 10% discount on a bridge I am selling in San Francisco too

PaulChristenson:
:D

Except the H you are referring to in Ammonia is Hydrogen!!! NOT Helium...

So you point is what?

Being a actual chemist (but never played one on tv) this thread is really funny. Thanks for the laughs guys...its been a slow day
-Chrsitopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom