Regs vs. TRIMIX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RP_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

chatting with fellows divers a doubt raised, and I was wandering if anyone knows what are the reqs. for using TRIMIX on a regulator. I kown that to use NITROX > 40% or any other gas mix with more than 40% of O2, the regulator must be O2 serviced (viton o-rings, etc...) and O2 clean.

Thanks

Helium's inert, and shouldn't cause compatibility problems with regs. As you know, the oxygen issues are the same as they are when blended with nitrogen alone. If you keep the O2 under 40%, you should be fine reg-wise.

I agree with Matt, I am under the understanding that O2 is the issue with regulators and Tri-Mixing involves lower O2 % and more inert gasses so there shouldnt be any problems.

Al above is true... But you have to be carefull how much He you use in your mix and how ofthen. He tends to deteriorate the seals and valves a little bit faster than EANx. I tend to service my Trimix regs more frecuent than the EANx regs. I also use Tungsten lined Regs (APEKS 200) for Trimix. Helps with maintenance.

T

webediving:
Al above is true... But you have to be carefull how much He you use in your mix and how ofthen. He tends to deteriorate the seals and valves a little bit faster than EANx. I tend to service my Trimix regs more frecuent than the EANx regs. I also use Tungsten lined Regs (APEKS 200) for Trimix. Helps with maintenance.

T

That doesn't make any sense. Helium is inert, Nitrogen is inert. *oxygen* causes the deterioration. What you might see is, due to the size of the helium atom, it tends to slip through seals and orings more easily, but the helium isn't causing more deterioration.

Soggy:
That doesn't make any sense. Helium is inert, Nitrogen is inert. *oxygen* causes the deterioration. What you might see is, due to the size of the helium atom, it tends to slip through seals and orings more easily, but the helium isn't causing more deterioration.

Helium and Nitrogen still react with things. Case in point, compounds like ammonia , which is NH_3. Maybe not as violently with almost everything like oxygen does, though.

peengers:
Helium and Nitrogen still react with things. Case in point, compounds like ammonia , which is NH_3. Maybe not as violently with almost everything like oxygen does, though.
So are trying to tell us that ammonia automagically is created in scuba regulators?

Helium is inert. Nitrogen is not inert. How do you think you can have so much fun at the dentist? As to your original question, I haven't a clue.

Sogggy,

I can see that you do not service your own regulator. Been doing Trimix for a while to see the difference. Just because Helium is an inert gas and does not have an "effect" in the human phisiology (note that I put " " on effect, He has effects in the body physiology under pressure). It does not mean that it does not react with other materials. Helium does have an adverse effect on the seals and seats of reg. Specially in the first stage diaphragms.

T

jiml:
Helium is inert. Nitrogen is not inert. How do you think you can have so much fun at the dentist? As to your original question, I haven't a clue.

You're right, nitrogen (N) is not inert. Nitrogen gas, N2 is an inert molecule, however, and is what we are discussing. Nitrous Oxide is N2O, something completely different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom