"Regulations" Got You Down? "Human Leather Gloves" are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$52 for gloves to "protest" a rule seems a little stubborn and prideful. To me that's 10 air fills/dives. But I guess if money is no object...

I wouldn't want other divers to think that I was diving with nail polish on my nail. LOL

jaybombs25:
Ana:
None of these actions are against the law and opposite to popular opinion do not have a negative effect on the health of the planet.

Umm should I inform you that it IS AGAINST THE LAW to dive with gloves and knives, at least where I am from. I've seen people refuse to remove them and end up with extended SI's

Do they also ban wetsuits? I have seen many more divers brush their bodies against the reef than I have seen divers reach out and break off coral.

jaybombs25:
Ana:
None of these actions are against the law and opposite to popular opinion do not have a negative effect on the health of the planet.

Umm should I inform you that it IS AGAINST THE LAW to dive with gloves and knives, at least where I am from. I've seen people refuse to remove them and end up with extended SI's

Thanks for the warning. I won't be visiting St Lucia.

the last five wreck diving trips i went on, my hands got stung while holding onto the line during the safety stop.

EVERYTIME. initially i was trying to be stubborn by not wearing gloves, and even forgot once. The last time i was stung it looked like a bad case of herpes and lasted for ten days. So i would lprefer having the option of wearing gloves. But i understand the rule...

Maybe it is a futile rule - but the inexperienced divers are the ones most likey to try to touch/fondle/take - just out of lack of respect. They will just as easily bang up a reef with their fins. I even saw a guy SIT (yes, sit) on ledge to adjust his gear.

Breaking rules just to break rules, however, is something that reminds of of my middle school years.

Find a different place to dive, or respect the rules.

mynamehere:
The last time i was stung it looked like a bad case of herpes and lasted for ten days.

Ummmm.....I'm not even gonna ask just how you know this......

Screw the "rules." I wear gloves every time, or no tips...guess what? I always get to wear them (wink, wink, nod, nod, just put them on while descending please). It's exposure protection, not "so I can touch things" protection. It's also against the law to smoke pot, walk across the street against a red light and a whole bunch of other things I'm sure all these "regulation followers" on here must do every day. Like I said, tell the people that no gloves=no tips, and watch the rules disappear...and yes, "mental buffoons" would cover the issue well, because as I say, gloves never hurt a reef: bad diving does. What's next, no wet suits? Fins (as was astutely noted) cause more damage than gloves and those aren't banned (sticky little issue there because without fins, there would be no diving and therefore no big American, Japanese and European bucks, yens or euros in ye old island economies or pockets of the dive oeprations which would then be, well, non-existent) so it's all some kind of lip service that's ridiculous, and, as I said, I'm sure all of the 'righteous' regulation followers also believe Sadaam had WMD, stand on empty corners staring at empty streets at 4am waiting for traffic lights to turn green and more than likely take on the appearance of sheep rather than human beings....

Rant over....

Back
Top Bottom