Regulator advice- Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookgrl

Reaction score
I'm new to diving- only 7 dives since I've been certified- but it really is addictive!! I've been researching gear and seriously considering buying a regulator before my next dive vacation. There a great posts and some terrific advice on this board and I've checked out the Rodale gear reviews.... But I have one question I just haven't been able to find an answer to. One article I found during my research seemed to imply- not just that you need a regulator that can handle Nitrox if you plan to dive with Nitrox (that much makes sense to me) but that it should be dedicated to Nitrox. In otherwords if I bought a regulator that can handle either and I use it for air now and then take a nitrox class later- I won't be able to use the same regulator. Is that really true???

Most reg manufacturers say that you can use the regs "off the shelf" for up to EAN40, which will be any recreational use of nitrox. If you get into diving where you have higher o2... ie. 100% o2 for a deco bottle, then you'll want to 'dedicate' the reg you'll be using for that mix.

If your reg will never see higher than 40% o2, then you're ok using it for air.

raxafarian once bubbled...
If you get into diving where you have higher o2... ie. 100% o2 for a deco bottle, then you'll want to 'dedicate' the reg you'll be using for that mix.

Many of the regs will be able to be 02 cleaned [different O-Rings, different grease, etc...] Once you clean the reg, you'll need to keep it using clean air... so either Nitrox or hyper-air. Once you put regular air through it you'll have to clean it again.

So yes, when buying a regulator just make sure that it can be cleaned for O2 if your planning on going to 40%+ mixes. Aside of titanium regs, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that wouldn't be able to be cleaned for O2 use.

Now if you clean a reg and use it with an 100% [or more likely 80% or 50%] you can still use it with 'hyper-air' and not have to have it cleaned again...

Bookgrl once bubbled...
One article I found during my research seemed to imply- not just that you need a regulator that can handle Nitrox if you plan to dive with Nitrox (that much makes sense to me) but that it should be dedicated to Nitrox. In otherwords if I bought a regulator that can handle either and I use it for air now and then take a nitrox class later- I won't be able to use the same regulator. Is that really true???

You can use any name brand regulator for standard recreational nitrox mixes. Some people get them oxygen cleaned, some don't. I'm in the "don't" category. My regulators work just fine regardless of what gas I run through them.

Tom

raxafarian once bubbled...
I was saying that a reg directly from most manufacturers is ok to use up to 40% o2 without cleaning.... therefore you can use regular air with these regs.

Yes... once a reg is o2 cleaned (for use above 40) then it should only be used with hyperair (type E modified) or mix.

I don't O2 clean any of mine, not even my deco regs. Sure, the o-rings in the one I use for 100% will wear out sooner but we're at about 6 months now. O2 cleaning is as expensive as reg overhaul, maybe more.

I O2 clean my tanks but that's it.

Tom

Wait...Tom are you shure? You haven't been burned to death or blown up? How can that be?

Actually there is some debate as to what o-rings materials are really more compatable with O2. Zeagle doesn't even sell the viton kits anymore and they know we use the regs with 100%. Cleaning is prabably a good idea (for high FO2)but how long does it really stay clean (O2 clean that is) When I rebuild my regs I give them a simple green bath and I use O2 compatible lubricant. None of this stuff is ever perfectly clean and if it is it won't stay that way. I think high flows cause more trouble than dirt. Slow flow rates go a long way in avoiding trouble wether a little fuel is present or not.

There is lots of on the market that the manufacturer will not bless the use of mixtures over 40%. Even some of the popular valves. Genesis sais their valves shoud not be exposed to anything over 40%. I would have real trouble if I didn't PP blend in any tank wearing a Genesis valve.

I think Aqualung says that before their regs are used with nitrox you must jump through hoops foreward and backward, perform strange rituals, spend lots of money and..I think the reg must be green. Don't they even sell special green ones?

Don't they even sell special green ones?

Apeks used to make one too...looks just like a TX50, but has a green and yellow case...oh, and costs a lot more too.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Wait...Tom are you shure? You haven't been burned to death or blown up? How can that be?

Actually there is some debate as to what o-rings materials are really more compatable with O2. Zeagle doesn't even sell the viton kits anymore and they know we use the regs with 100%. Cleaning is prabably a good idea (for high FO2)but how long does it really stay clean (O2 clean that is) When I rebuild my regs I give them a simple green bath and I use O2 compatible lubricant. None of this stuff is ever perfectly clean and if it is it won't stay that way. I think high flows cause more trouble than dirt. Slow flow rates go a long way in avoiding trouble wether a little fuel is present or not.

There is lots of on the market that the manufacturer will not bless the use of mixtures over 40%. Even some of the popular valves. Genesis sais their valves shoud not be exposed to anything over 40%. I would have real trouble if I didn't PP blend in any tank wearing a Genesis valve.

I think Aqualung says that before their regs are used with nitrox you must jump through hoops foreward and backward, perform strange rituals, spend lots of money and..I think the reg must be green. Don't they even sell special green ones?

So far I have not ignited. The way I figure it, my mouth, throat, and lungs are NOT O2 cleaned either. I don't say that cleaning is not a good idea, I just don't feel that dire consequences are likely from standard o-rings. I DO use O2 compatible lubricant though.

Yea, several companies make those green second stages, OMS for one. All mine are black <shrug>. Think I'll die? I don't even have green hose protectors! Oh my God, I don't have ANY hose protectors!!!!

Tom

O-ring once bubbled...

Apeks used to make one too...looks just like a TX50, but has a green and yellow case...oh, and costs a lot more too.

A LOT more. I looked at those. Paid under $200 for my TX-40/DS4s, the green one was like $350. I decided to take my chances.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom