Regulator advice- Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My regs too are black. And yes we will both die but that doesn't have anything to do with regulators.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
My regs too are black. And yes we will both die but that doesn't have anything to do with regulators.

At least not green ones!

The LP catalog is pretty funny too...they have a whole section called Nitrox with all this specialty gear for Nitrox diving...all marked way up.

I had the exact same concern as yours, and the same problem as well. I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. Finally I just asked my instructor about it:

You can definitely use your off-the-shelf regulator with recreational Nitrox. The manufacturers put the warning/disclaimer on their regs basically to cover their butts against people using them with 100% oxygen... which is where the danger of explosion is greatest. Your Nitrox tank will be safe for 100% O2. Once your tank is filled, the 02 is no longer 100% and any ignition/explosion hazzard is all but gone... long before the gas ever touches any part of your regulator.

In my opinion, go ahead and buy a good standard reg. Skip the "Nitrox only" stuff and spend your money on something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom