Regulator Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharpDog

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in a sealed reg for warm and cold water diving. I am torn between the Apeks ATX 200 and the SP Mk17/x650. I am also looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 and the AL Legend LX ACD.

I read the excellent x650 post http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=42931 and the Mk17/x650 combo os less expensive than the ATX200.

The Apeks seems universally praised by all. I am wondering about the dry env. sealing system. How much of an advantage is that? The only downside of the ATX200 that I have heard is that the bubbles tend to interfere with your vision when not moving forward.

I intend to start searching (recreationally) with a metal detector and wonder if this will be a minor (or major) annoyance.

Which reg would you choose? Either of the ones above or another choice. Cost is not a factor (within reason) as I want excellent quality, reliable equipment that will last as long as possible and I realize that you get what you pay for.

SharpDog:
I am interested in a sealed reg for warm and cold water diving. I am torn between the Apeks ATX 200 and the SP Mk17/x650. I am also looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 and the AL Legend LX ACD.

I read the excellent x650 post http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=42931 and the Mk17/x650 combo os less expensive than the ATX200.

The Apeks seems universally praised by all. I am wondering about the dry env. sealing system. How much of an advantage is that? The only downside of the ATX200 that I have heard is that the bubbles tend to interfere with your vision when not moving forward.

I intend to start searching (recreationally) with a metal detector and wonder if this will be a minor (or major) annoyance.

Which reg would you choose? Either of the ones above or another choice. Cost is not a factor (within reason) as I want excellent quality, reliable equipment that will last as long as possible and I realize that you get what you pay for.

Let me start by saying all these regulators are fantastic choices. I chose the Aqua Lung because I’ve used it at depth in cold, deep conditions. The Scubapro’s I own are kind of sensitive at depth in cold water, but I do not own the Mk17/650. I do however own a D400 MK20 and G250 MK10. My son owns an Oceanic and it is a great performer as well. The Apex I have not tried but owned one of their octos at one time and enjoyed it. I usually use my Maximus in extreme conditions and think the Aqua Lung would be my next regulator of choice because of performance, but I do love the Maximus as far as moisture retention and durability.

The Scubapro Mk 17 is dry sealed and when they introduced it they finally fielded a reg that exceeded the capability of Apeks first stages in terms of cold water capability. Plus the Mk 17 does not have the "overbalanced" problem of the Apeks as the relative IP on the Mk 17 does not increase with depth as it does on the Apeks.

The dry sealed Mk 17 was long overdue as SP's Mk 20 and Mk 25 have been handicapped in terms of cold water performance ever since SP did away with the SPEC system on the piston design and instead relied soley on a TIS system that is not fully up to the task in water colder than about 45 degree F. But on the other hand SP took their time and eventually fielded a superb first stage based.

What DA said about the MK17 and i'd throw in the ZEAGLE DSV / VI as other choices.

The XTX line from Apeks lets you self-change the exhaust Ts. You can then go slimline or wide version. Both versions are included (at least with the XTX200).

I have the Sherwood Maximus (since 2000) and have recently relegated that to my primary Pony rig.

I also have the AL Legend LX ACD - this is my wife's reg but since she likes only warm water diving, I am using it here in SoCal until my recently ordered Apeks XTX200 comes in. I should have it in another week or so I think. The AL breathes great at depth and in cool vs warm water. The air can be a little dry - my wife noticed it more than I do.

The Maximus is great for staying out of the way. Since it comes under arm, if you are doing metal detecting and such, it may stay against your body more, but then it may get in the way of handles and such (not sure since I have never tried a metal detector underwater). It does tend to breathe wet.. hovering upside down can get you a mouthful of water, but dry mouth is a non-factor.

The Apeks I can only relate what I know from one use and from a clinic I went to on these regs. Simply put, you will love it. The ATX and XTX are VERY similar. I am waiting oh-so-not-patiently for my XTX200 Tungsten with swivel on DIN. Being over-balanced and having very few parts that need to ever really be replaced, I expect this reg to last me the next 10-15 years easily. Taking these apart is a piece of cake (if you have even a little training/experience). The 200 series have a few internal aspects that make owning these ones more practical than the sub 200 series.

The regs you noted are all good choices, but you may want to give a loooooong look at the Apeks personally...

Back
Top Bottom