Regulator set - Aqualung vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All AL regs with ACD have a 2 yr service interval. That means full overhaul/rebuild is only required every 2 years.

That video is marketing schmaltz. Their ACD 1st stages have had a 2-yr service interval for years.

Just to play spoilsport here, I am NOT a fan of the yoke ACD feature!
Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth
Although the problem was rare, Aqualung never owned up to it. A reg failure at depth is a nightmare no single tank diver should every have to experience. They certainly were concerned enough to now supply ACD valves with a little ridge on them, and sent out a notice emphasizing correct ACD shutter valve torque. But there was no recall, and no admission of the design flaw.
To me, a spring-loaded toy in my air flow path is an invitation to disaster. That everything depended upon correct torque'ing by a shop monkey is frightening. I have seen more than one shop that never uses a torque wrench.
Me? I'll just make sure water doesn't get in my first stage the old fashioned way, by careful replacement of the cap during tank changes. On boat dives, I ask the crew to let me detach and reattach the first stage between dives. They're happy to have one less set to set up as they race around the boat.

I own several Aqualung sets, and I love their performance. But I have removed the ACD feature by inserting an Aqualung Titan yoke retainer without an ACD, as an unauthorized replacement.

Although the problem was rare, Aqualung never owned up to it. A reg failure at depth is a nightmare no single tank diver should every have to experience. They certainly were concerned enough to now supply ACD valves with a little ridge on them, and sent out a notice emphasizing correct ACD shutter valve torque. But there was no recall, and no admission of the design flaw.
To me, a spring-loaded toy in my air flow path is an invitation to disaster. That everything depended upon correct torque'ing by a shop monkey is frightening. I have seen more than one shop that never uses a torque wrench.
Me? I'll just make sure water doesn't get in my first stage the old fashioned way, by careful replacement of the cap during tank changes. On boat dives, I ask the crew to let me detach and reattach the first stage between dives. They're happy to have one less set to set up as they race around the boat.

I own several Aqualung sets, and I love their performance. But I have removed the ACD feature by inserting an Aqualung Titan yoke retainer without an ACD, as an unauthorized replacement.

Please check your INBOX :)

I do somewhat agree with the risk that exist with ACD. One incident is one incident too many for scuba divers. Only takes seconds to drown. Surely if majority of regs are without ACD and were fine for donkey years with appropriate care and servicing, they will continue to be fine.

Thank you all! I have committed to the Apeks XTX50.

Congrats. Whatever direction your diving is headed, its a regulator that will take you all the way.

If they offer the 5th port conversion, give it some thought. Its not useful in a single tank setup, but if you ever go to doubles or sidemount, the 5th port is the shizzle. Its also not necessary to get a yellow XTX40 as the octo, you can get two identical XTX50 2nd stages and make one your primary. Then all you need to buy is a second XTX50 1st stage and you're ready to go.

Thank you all! I have committed to the Apeks XTX50.

Excellent, it is a great choice and congratulations! I wish you awesome safe, enjoyable and happy diving in calm seas for many decades to come!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom