Regulator set - Aqualung vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to play spoilsport here, I am NOT a fan of the yoke ACD feature!
Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth
Although the problem was rare, Aqualung never owned up to it. A reg failure at depth is a nightmare no single tank diver should every have to experience. They certainly were concerned enough to now supply ACD valves with a little ridge on them, and sent out a notice emphasizing correct ACD shutter valve torque. But there was no recall, and no admission of the design flaw.
To me, a spring-loaded toy in my air flow path is an invitation to disaster. That everything depended upon correct torque'ing by a shop monkey is frightening. I have seen more than one shop that never uses a torque wrench.
Me? I'll just make sure water doesn't get in my first stage the old fashioned way, by careful replacement of the cap during tank changes. On boat dives, I ask the crew to let me detach and reattach the first stage between dives. They're happy to have one less set to set up as they race around the boat.

I own several Aqualung sets, and I love their performance. But I have removed the ACD feature by inserting an Aqualung Titan yoke retainer without an ACD, as an unauthorized replacement.

With all the praise here of the ACD system I was thinking of the same thing. The failure of the ACD system under water can be a disaster, and there are enough things to worry about when diving so why add to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom