Regulator set - Aqualung vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had that choice to make a few months back and went with the XTX 200 with XTX 50 octo. Really happy with my set so far.
One of the biggest scuba retailer here is currently selling the XTX200 + 40 octopus the same price as XTX50 + 40 octopus. I do somewhat like the swivel feature of the DST that comes with the XTX50. Superficially the XTX200 is aesthetically more attractive given the metal bits. I assume the 200 will be slightly heavier than the 50, but not sure by how much?

My LDS quoted the Oceanic Delta 5 as AUD100 cheaper than the Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 octopus combo. Leg3nd comes in as the most expensive out of all the 3 that I'm considering. Oceanic does have lifetime free parts offer but it does required annual "inspection" and 2nd yearly servicing; which although all published info would recommend annual inspection, I know in real life, people tend to stretch it out a little bit more.

Aqua Lung also has free parts for life on their regs and Apeks regs. However it does require an annual inspection which I've found costs more than the parts every 2 years. I therefore gave up on my free parts for life years ago. I simply have them serviced every 2-2.5 years, pay for the parts as well and still end up ahead.

Aqua Lung also has free parts for life on their regs and Apeks regs. However it does require an annual inspection which I've found costs more than the parts every 2 years. I therefore gave up on my free parts for life years ago. I simply have them serviced every 2-2.5 years, pay for the parts as well and still end up ahead.
Yeah, figured that the free parts for life isn't that great of a bargain due to that requirement. They've stopped offering free parts for life for Apeks and AL regs in Australia.

Yeah, figured that the free parts for life isn't that great of a bargain due to that requirement. They've stopped offering free parts for life for Apeks and AL regs in Australia.

Interesting. Perhaps they have here in the states as well? I honestly haven't paid much attention because I don't use it and don't anticipate using it with my Leg3nd Elite. I don't recall seeing them drop it in the US but it's also not something they would publicize.

ADDITION: It does appear on the US website still so I do believe the program is still in place here. I still don't plan to use it but wanted to share for any US customers who may read my post.

Aqua Lung Free Parts For Life

Several years ago, I bought a Legend reg. I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. The ACD has been mentioned a couple times. This is a feature which hopefully you will never need, but if you have a momentary lapse of concentration, you will be glad it is there.

Speaking to my Legend, it is more than 10 years old and it still breathes effortlessly. IMHO, I think that you would likely be very happy with a Leg3nd and that it would serve you well for several years.

I could be wrong, but I think that the two reg brands that you mentioned, AquaLung and Apeks are to a degree affiliated. I believe that Apeks is a "sister company" to Aqualung. If that is true, then their regs should, in theory, be fairly similar in terms of performance and reliability.

As for the Oceanic Delta 5, I have never used one, so I can't speak to it, but I do believe that within a given price point/price range, regs from different manufacturers will tend to offer similar performance with slight variations on the features.

I could be wrong, but I think that the two reg brands that you mentioned, AquaLung and Apeks are to a degree affiliated. I believe that Apeks is a "sister company" to Aqualung. If that is true, then their regs should, in theory, be fairly similar in terms of performance and reliability.

Aqua Lung owns Apeks. They purchased them years ago. When I bought my first Legend in 2006 Apeks was already owned by Aqua Lung.

My LDS quoted the Oceanic Delta 5 as AUD100 cheaper than the Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 octopus combo. Leg3nd comes in as the most expensive out of all the 3 that I'm considering. Oceanic does have lifetime free parts offer but it does required annual "inspection" and 2nd yearly servicing; which although all published info would recommend annual inspection, I know in real life, people tend to stretch it out a little bit more.

The free kits is a marketing gimmick that you carry the cost for. Not sure about Oceanic but the Aqualung deal was I had to pay for annual servicing. I abandoned it with my Legend, the free kit only applied if I paid the store to service it. The reg did not actually need a service and I had to pay for the kit to do it myself (as the service tech in the same store), or pay them to do it (and then actually service it myself anyway). I could never get a clear reason get out of the store owner, but if the LDS can hold you to ransom on free service kits the deal itself is a dud.

oceanic delta is not in the same league as the legend or apeks. 100 kangaroo dollars difference would not be enough to justify picking it.

The $100 difference doesn't apply to the Legend. The Delta 5 looks like a rebadged Hollis 212, which I'd walk straight passed for an XTX50.

Hi all,

Aqualung says in an official video, that the service interval has been extended from 1 to 2 years for the Leg3nd due to the ACD protecting the internal components from external influence.

-> Scroll to second 50:

If the reason for the service interval extending to 2 years is the AC Device, then this must be true for pretty much all regs that have the ACD. Or are there differen types of ACD that protect better or worse?

Best,
Thomas

Hi all,

Aqualung says in an official video, that the service interval has been extended from 1 to 2 years for the Leg3nd due to the ACD protecting the internal components from external influence.

-> Scroll to second 50:

If the reason for the service interval extending to 2 years is the AC Device, then this must be true for pretty much all regs that have the ACD. Or are there differen types of ACD that protect better or worse?

Best,
Thomas
I think to date, only Aqualung's first stage has ACD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom